Lemondrop and Mandarina Bavaria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a mild request of sorts. I'm brewing a kolsch-ish style beer where I'll be using centennial, Lemondrop and Mandarina Bavaria hops. I already know that my flameout hops will be the lemon drop and the mandarina. My question is how far along should I hop with the centennial? I don't want a bitter bomb, so I was thinking of hopping between 20-30 minutes into the boil. I really want the fruitiness of the other hops to stand out and be super pungent. Here's the recipe.

10# 2 row
1/2# white wheat
1/2# munich 10L

K-97 Kolsch yeast
Centennial: 1 oz 30 minutes
lemondrop: 1 oz flameout
mandarin: 1 oz flameout

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.011
ABV: 5.9%
IBU: 22
SRM: 4

I don't want the IBUs much higher than this. My efficiency on my equipment is usually around 65-70% so I anticipate a slightly lower OG than what's noted. I do have an extra pound of DME kicking around, just in case I'm significantly lower than that. So that's the skinny. Would you hop at 30 minutes or just push that to the beginning of the boil for a more bitter beer?

You can keep the bitterness the same by cutting the centennial in half and adding as 60min addition.

I have used Lemon drop a couple time and they seems to be sort of subtle and centennial are sort of assertive, I would reduce the amount of centennial and do them as a 60min addition to allow the flavor of the flame out hops to be more pronounced.

I'm dumping a Vienna with saaz on this yeast cake when this is done. I enjoy experimenting with beer.

Back