Lemon Zest in a Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Firstly, what is lemon zest? I ask because I am doing a Kolsch this week. The examples I have had have been knock offs; both touted having lemon zest. They were Sam Adams Summer Ale and Goose Island Summer Ale. Sam Adams also touted something called "Grains of Paradise". Is this something real and if so is it a spice like you get in the store, like a spice?

Here is what I am putting together. It isn't exactly to style due to the Crystal and , but another home brewer recommended the recipe and said it was really good. What I want to know is if lemon zest and grains of paradise is something you get at a place like a grocery story, would you add them and if so how much and when.

7 lbs Pilsner 2 row
2 lbs wheat malt
12 oz Munich Malt
4 oz Crystal 10L
4 oz melanoiden

1 oz Hallertaur whole 60min
1 oz Hallertaur pellet 60min

mash at 150 for 75 min and fly sparg is my plan with a 90 min boil.

Lemon zest is as easy as buying some lemons from the grocery store, and then taking the rind to a cheese grater. The little chunks of rind that are grated off are considered "zest". You can zest all sorts of fruits, its very common in brewing and cooking alike. The rind holds a lot of the essential oils in flavoring.

Im not as familiar with grains of paradise, but I do know that my LHBS has them. It is similar to pepper and is originally from Africa... I believe that they also go by another name, but Im not too sure what it is. HTH

For what it's worth, my kolsch has only german pils grain, and hops, with Wyeast 2565.

What you're making is more of a pilsener. What yeast are using?

The grain bill is set by the way. They were all milled together, except the wheat of course, which is fine. I will also throw in some rice hulls.

I recommend that if you are zesting a decent amount of fruit (or have plans to zest more then a couple) the buy a decent microplane (15 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond). You do not want to use the large hole part of a cheese grater, usually want to use the smallest part for a good fine zest.

You want to be careful when zesting to not go to deep or it will get really bitter, really fast. Basically, you want to take the "color" off of the citrus peel for the best flavor. Its good stuff, and once you use it in cooking/brewing you will find how easy it is to complement something with a little zest (especially cooking, lemon zest rocks in the summer for light recepies IMO).

Firstly, what is lemon zest? I ask because I am doing a Kolsch this week. The examples I have... were Sam Adams Summer Ale and Goose Island Summer Ale.

Neither one of these beers are Kolschs.

edit: Nevermind, the Goose is, I was thinking the 312, which is similar to the Sam Summer: an American Wheat.

i would also recommend washing the lemon very well. There is a wax that covers the outside, make sure you remove it with a thorough washing.

What you are brewing is not a Koelsch. Traditionally, Koelsch is made simply from Pilsner malt and noble hops - nothing else (I think one of the Cologne breweries does use a small percentage of wheat).

However, that really doesn't matter - just brew the beer you like. Style guidelines are a great reference for starting out with, but most people customize their recipes and end up with unique specialty brews that don't quite fit any traditional styles. Just don't call it something it is not if you don't want to confuse/give a wrong impression to people who'll taste your beer.

I wouldn't use grains of paradise in such a subtle beer, but lemon zest might be a nice addition. I'd be tempted to throw some Cascade or Amarillo in there as well (just a little bit - again, the base beer is subtle and you don't want to overpower it with citrus taste) to make the citrus flavor and aroma a little more complex.

I was thinking Sorachi Ace hops. Anyone? They impart a lemon quality to a beer when used as finishing/aroma hops.

Well, since it's not true to style we'll call it an experiment and go with an oz of Lemon Zest but no Grains of Paradise. I say an oz at 15 min just because I saw some other Summer Ale clone recipes call for that. I am sure it will be drinkable beer. Probably it and the of Little kings will be the last of the "summer time" type brews. It will soon be time for Scottish Ale and then I am going to build the Basic Brewing video's Low Tech Lagering System and do some other long term type stuff. Fall and Winter are just around the corner!

Back