LEMON DROP hops...just ordered!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I was doing a little web browsing for some Chinook hops and I came across these:

HopShackLemonDrop

At $18.99/pound I just cannot pass these up!

I'm sure these will be sold out fast since I haven't seen them anywhere else.

I had a hard time finding info on the hops when I saw them used in Stone's Delicious IPA. I am unsure if I loved the El Dorado with the Lemondrop hop, but I really want to try lemon drop with mosaic or something.

Thanks for the heads up. I had a small PP balance and ordered a pound from them. I've never heard of the company.

I'm going to give them a whirl. Some Chinook for bittering, an ounce at 15, 10, and flame out. Then 2 ounces for dry hopping. We'll see how that turns out.

Though super low AA, I wonder what would happen if they were used for bittering too.

I don't think they would do much. I used us Golding for a brown ale recently and it's about the same AA. I used 1.5 oz and wish I would've used more or a hop with more bitterness.

^ Nice. I already got my shipment notification and tracking number from the other place. I'm thinking of a saison or something.

I got 8oz from farmhouse, but OP's link is cheaper. Brewing an American wheat with them this weekend, FWH with 2oz and then the rest of them at flame out with a short hop stand. Even at 4.4% this has me coming in just under 40 ibu in a 10 gal batch according to beersmith.

I cracked open the bag to smell and dear lord is there a lot going on with these hops.

The link I ordered from says 5.5-7%, we'll see. They probably don't know either. I mean, the description pretty much describes most hops in one run-on sentence. :)

I got 8oz from farmhouse, but OP's link is cheaper. Brewing an American wheat with them this weekend, FWH with 2oz and then the rest of them at flame out with a short hop stand. Even at 4.4% this has me coming in just under 40 ibu in a 10 gal batch according to beersmith.

I cracked open the bag to smell and dear lord is there a lot going on with these hops.

Please post back here if you think of it to tell us how that turns out.

They're described to me as lemon head candies mixed with a Kool menthol cigarette. I've had both in my day so I really can't imagine how the beer will turn out.

I once had a patient that responded; 'no.'

This was her response to several questions that did not require a yes or no response. I then looked at my colleague with a confused look. He was already looking at me with the same look.

What exactly do you mean by NO?

I repeated verbatim what I was told about what these hops are like. Do you describe them different? Please explain :cross:

Please post back here if you think of it to tell us how that turns out.

They're described to me as lemon head candies mixed with a Kool menthol cigarette. I've had both in my day so I really can't imagine how the beer will turn out.

I'll try to remember to swing back this way, should be only 2 weeks or so before this guy is good for drinkin', going to be about a 1.050 og with just a smidge of melanoidin and 50/50 pils and white wheat.

I just finished up my brew session, here was the recipe

8# American Pilsner (colorado malting company)
8# German White Wheat malt
.25# Melanoiden Malt

2oz Lemon Drop FWH
1.5oz LD 15 mins
1.5 oz LD 10 mins
1.5oz LD 5 mins
1.5oz LD flameout, chilled to 165 and then held between 160 and 170 for 30 minutes while recirculating for a hop stand

OG was 1.046, 80% efficiency. 60 seconds pure O2, 2 packets s-05 rehydrated
Fermenting at 19C/66F

Just got mine in the post. Fast shipping for sure. I think I'll do a SMaSH first.

Mine arrived today from the Hopshack.

I opened them and they just smell nice. Hard to describe but not like how they've been described.

That may be a different story after their boiled or dry hopped.

I also ordered a new kettle and a wilser bag to get into BIAB. Going from extract and I may try these hops the first batch or two of my all grain experience. I'm waiting until it's not in the negative temps though. Extract is cake.

I can't say I got any menthol taste from the hydro sample, they reminded me a lot of cascade but with a deep, sweet lemon flavor instead of the orange I usually taste in cascade.

I just grabbed a hydro sample cause I had to...

Beer is down to 1.013, will probably go another 2 pts before the end of primary.

I really like the flavor from this hop. I would describe it as cascade, with a strong floral component kind of like Saaz, and a deep lemon rind flavor, like chewing on lemon rind. I made mine moderately bitter, so that adds to the "rind" taste. Citrus is medium, floral is medium high.

Sounds interesting. I'm brewing an extract version this weekend with it. Should be drinking it in 3 or 4 weeks.

Here it is! It's got a nice minor haze from the wheat.

This is definitely the closest lemon flavor I have ever tasted from a hop. It's spicy, lemony, like lemon rind. The floral has sub sided somewhat, and the "cascadey" flavor is lessened as well, but I did not dry hop this beer. Kinda wish I did. This hop would be perfect for a saison or a witbier.

lemon drop.JPG

I brewed a couple saisons with some Lemon Drop I picked up at my LHBS. The wort had a delicious lemon essence to it. I'm really excited to see how these badboys come out in a couple weeks.

Good to hear the report. That sounds like a nice lawnmower beer

I'm going to take another sample today, but my sample prior to dry hopping gave me the impression that there was a tobacco flavor. I am hoping it is just all in my head.

I'm going to take another sample today, but my sample prior to dry hopping gave me the impression that there was a tobacco flavor. I am hoping it is just all in my head.

I hope so.

I just unexpectedly kicked my Simcoe IPA last night. I brewed the Lemon Drop IPA on Saturday and am going to have to dry hop this Sunday if I want to drink it by next weekend. I just don't like drinking beers so soon but it might be alright with this one.

I'll report back. Again, it could be all in my head since that would be the one flavor that would make me dump it right away. Once carbonated, I will have others try it as well.

Curious to hear more reports. I'm thinking of doing a belgian wit (my wife's fav) and using this instead of the usual hop (which I don't remember, probably whatever Brewing Classic Styles recommends)

I just bought 2 more lbs of lemon drop, really liking how the beer came out. actually switched one of my NHC entries for it and entered it in anther contest as well, it was perfect timing to catch this beer at it's peak.

The hop flavor has deepened over the last two weeks and it's got an amazing depth of flavor for just using 1 variety of hop. One of my friends described it as being like gatorade, and it got a lot of rave reviews from everyone else that night. Also dropped crystal clear about a week after that pic. About to kick the first keg...but hey I've got a second

I just tasted a hydro sample. Going to dry hop tomorrow. I didn't get a real strong flavor but I usually don't from those samples.

Got 8 oz on the way. So, Belgian wit or a pale ale? My wife loves the wits, so might try that out. I'd use the brewing classic styles recipe I guess, except with these hops

Bottled 2 batches of lemon drop saison last night. The lemon smell is strong but not overpowering. It goes very well with the dry saison style. One of the saisons had smoked malt with played wonderfully with the lemon flavor. I can't wait for these guys to carb up.

I just got my hands on some Stone Delicious IPA. It's good but I think it needs more hops. I can smell the lemon aroma though. Based on my hydro sample not being very strong with 4oz of hops (before dry hop) maybe it's just not that powerful. I dry hopped with 3oz and will be transferring into the keg tomorrow night after dry hopping for 5 days. Going to roll it and carb and try it the following day because I'm out of homebrew IPA.

It's not a super assertive hop, but clocking in at only 4.4% you can load up on it. I haven't had Delicious yet...I might grab some on the way home

It's not a super assertive hop, but clocking in at only 4.4% you can load up on it. I haven't had Delicious yet...I might grab some on the way home

Give it a try. It smells just like the hops but stronger. I notice the lemon aroma and not so much the flavor. That IPA has El Dorado in it too though.

Back