Leinenkugel Summer Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thread resurrection... Leinenkugel is brewed by Coors. Saw it with my own eyes at the tour of the Golden, CO brewery. So are Killian's and Blue Moon for that matter, right along side Keystone Light. They all are all awful.

They are also brewed by Miller (no suprise since Miller and Coors are now the same). I've seen honey weisse kegs being filled on Miller lines

The biggest flavor profile I get out of Sunset Wheat is crushed up aspirin. It has a medicinal astringency that I would be sad about if it was my homebrew.

I really don't think those beers are that bad....

while I was in Germany I had a drink in a can that was half hefeweizen and half grapefruit soda ~ 2.5%abv. It was superbly delicious and refreshing! I forget the brand but it was a reputable delicious one. The Leinenkugels are the only things that remind me of that and as a SODA basically, not a beer, I think they are delicious.

Germany I had a drink in a can that was half hefeweizen and half grapefruit soda ~ 2.5%abv.

I have also heard that in Berlin if you order a Berlinerweisse they ask you if it you want orange or green, which means they mix orange or green flavored syrup in the beer. Also they serve it with a straw.

I have had one or two of the Berlinerweisses that you can get in the States, but none of these have the syrup (or the straw). I will try it when I eventually take my trip to Germany, strange as it may sound.

SWMBO Picked me up a sixer of this a while back. I expected a regular wheat beer, which is what I like to drink the most. I was (unpleasantly) surprised when I took a drink. I looked over the bottle and the 6 pack to see if there was anything about fruit flavors, but found nothing. I didn't even finish the beer.

A couple weeks later, my sister brought a blueberry beer over (forget the name), but I was expecting it to taste like blueberry and really liked it.

Maybe it's like getting served the wrong drink at Mickey D's. If I'm expecting it to be a dr. pepper and it's actually coke, I almost want to spit it out. Not that I don't like coke, but my brain was expecting dr. pepper. If Leine's would advertise the fruity flavor on the packaging, I would have expected it and possibly not have been so turned off at the first taste.

I don't mind some of Leinie's beers. I'll drink Sunset Wheat or Summer Shandy but it's hard to think of them as beer. Taste more like beer alternatives like Mike's or something of that nature.

First time I had it I liked it(some 9 years ago) then a friend said it tasted like Fruity Pebbles and ever since I haven't been able to drink it.

I can drink their Creamy Dark and I liked their Fireside Nut Brown on tap- not so much in bottle.

I guess they would also make a specialty brew for your a place if asked. The bar I used to go to in Ohio had a pale ale made up for them and it was decent. I'm sure they just have a lot of choices and recipes- you just pick one and they put your sticker on it.

It is Leinenkugels. What did you expect?

This thread is like people complaining about getting shocked when they jam a fork into an electrical outlet...

Thread resurrection!

I had to chime in to state how terrible this beer is. A friend of mine picked me up a sampler pack of beer which happened to have one of these in there. I am not really a fan of wheat beer, but there is a time and a place in which one can be pretty good (actually brewed up a Sorachi Ace Wheat with some rye that was FANTASTIC), but this beer has neither a time nor a place. Upon first sip I tasted "something" which does not belong in beer but could not place it, than it hit me; fruity pebbles. Yuck.

I never read a single review on this beer, so I went in with an open mind. God, it's horrible; sickeningly sweet with a cloying aftertaste. I think this is the second beer I have dumped, the first being Leinies Nut Brown (again, cloyingly sweet).

Christ, does Leinenkugel's brew anything worth a damn? Nasty stuff, yo. If you are ever tempted, do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY.

Is this not the worst beer ever produced? This had an almost fake blueberry taste to it with an absolutely terrible malt taste. I must say I have had some terrible beer in my life but this takes the number one spot on my all time worst brew, this beer is atrocious. I have never been one to pour out beer but this one was poured out after two sips.

Worst ever? Far from it. I like that one, actually. Don't think I'd try to clone it, but I still like it.

Red Stripe is probably the worst beer I've ever had. Could not finish one of them.

Back