Leftover Ingredients for a Brown Ale. Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
I wasn't going to ask, I thought I'd try my hand and my own recipe with no consultation or inspiration...but I can't help but ask. After my Oatmeal Stout and 2 Hefe's I have the following to work with for a 2.5 gallon batch.

#5 Munich 10L
#4 Crystal 80L
#1 Rahr 2-Row Pale
#1 Vienna Malt
#.75 Chocolate Malt
#.75 Roasted Barley

1oz Tettnanger
1oz Hallertauer
1/2oz Magnum
1/4oz Pearle

My friends love New Castle Brown Ale, so I figured I'd make a Brown Ale...even though this will be nothing like Newcastle. So for my "Honey Brown Ale" I came up with this.

Style: 10C
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 22.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.2 IBU

#2 Munich
#1 2 Row Pale
#1 Vienna
4oz Crystal 80L
2oz Roasted Barley
2oz Chocolate Malt

90 Minute Mash @154, 1.5qt/lb

.25oz Tettnanger @ 60min
.25oz Tettnanger @ 45min
.25oz Tettnanger @ 30min
.25oz Tettnanger @ 15min
8oz Honey @Flameout

Ferment with Wyeast1056

Suggestions welcome. I'll be using Death Brewers Teabag stove top method.

Browns, except 'Texas' browns, don't have flavor or aroma additions. Put all of the Tettnanger in at 60.

Grains: I'd cut the Roasted Barley out and reduce the Vienna to 1/2 pound.

Thanks guys, I'll pull the Roasted barley, and lose half the Vienna. I'm bumping the chocolate up to 8oz and the honey up to a pound. I forgot to mention I have #1 of aromatic malt I was going to use in a Saison but I scrapped that recipe, would there be any place for it in this beer?

I don't see how reducing the Vienna is going to make much of a difference with 2 lbs of Munich in there.

Mash low, around 150°F, to avoid a malt bomb. Definitely cut the roasted barley.

I'm not really familiar with these grains so I'm going on what you guys say largely. But from what I have read online, the Vienna sits between Pale and Munich so I agree, I'm not sure it will be a big deal.

Unfortunately I don't have an idea about what I want this to taste like and I have limited ingredients so it may not come out incredibly tasty or inspiring, I just want it to be drinkable and tasty.

Is a half pound of honey at flameout going to contribute any flavor to this beer or just dry it up?

The honey will just dry it up. You won't get any noticable honey flavor over the top of such a complex malt bill. But drying out is probably a good thing for that recipe!

I'd go with what you have (keeping the Vienna as-is), but I agree you should pull the roast barley and keep the mash temp low.

Ended up brewing this today.

#2 Munich 10L
#1 Vienna
#1 Pale 2-Row
#.25 Chocolate Malt
#.25 Crystal 80L
#.5 Honey

.25oz Magnum @60min
.5oz Tettnanger @30min
.5oz Tettnanger @15min
.25 Magnum @5min

Pitched Rehydrated Notty around 70F.

Mashed 1.45 qt/lb @ 150F for 75min. Sparge was 2.5 Gallons.
I know you suggested I not add flavor and aroma hops but I couldn't help myself. I decided I'd rather this be balanced than a malt bomb so I brought it up to 50IBU. If it's too much I can always wait it out I guess. I hit about ~68% efficiency, I ended up with 2.75 gallons instead of 2.5.

Going to ferment for 3-4 weeks, primary only...I'll report back when it's in the glass.

Ended up brewing this today.

#2 Munich 10L
#1 Vienna
#1 Pale 2-Row
#.25 Chocolate Malt
#.25 Crystal 80L
#.5 Honey

.25oz Magnum @60min
.5oz Tettnanger @30min
.5oz Tettnanger @15min
.25 Magnum @5min

Pitched Rehydrated Notty around 70F.

Mashed 1.45 qt/lb @ 150F for 75min. Sparge was 2.5 Gallons.
I know you suggested I not add flavor and aroma hops but I couldn't help myself. I decided I'd rather this be balanced than a malt bomb so I brought it up to 50IBU. If it's too much I can always wait it out I guess. I hit about ~68% efficiency, I ended up with 2.75 gallons instead of 2.5.

Going to ferment for 3-4 weeks, primary only...I'll report back when it's in the glass.

Nothing wrong with flavor/aroma additions in a brown ale. The essential difference between a north/south English brown and an American brown ale = flavor/aroma additions. American browns (in general) have them, English browns (in general) do not.

I just brewed up an American brown myself, and had a nice flavor addition at 10, which was acceptable, appropriate, and improved the brew. I wouldn't go overboard, especially with aroma additions, but yours seem fairly restrained.

Yea I looked at a lot of recipes and many had healthy hop schedules so I figured mine wouldn't be too extreme. It's not quite bubbling yet but I think it's alive.

Here she is bubbling away.
3419840674_9376d9604a.jpg

Back