Left over grain recipe...Predicted flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
I have some odds an ends that need to be used up...
5 gallon batch
6 pounds 2 row
1 pound 10 oz Special B
6 oz Pale Chocolate
3.6 oz Roasted Barley

Munton's Standard yeast

1 oz of Centennial 8.7% alpha

I'm brewing this regardless cause I hate waste.

What do you think? Flavor, Style predictions?

Assuming that's a 5 gallon batch, looks like you'd get something like a 4% ABV/40 IBU/30 SRM dry stout. Almost 30% specialty grains is a higher fraction than usual, but give it a whirl and let us know how it turns out!

I think that's a heck of a lot of special B especially for such a low gravity beer - you're sitting at about 20%. I used 10% once experimenting with amber recipes and it dominated, not in a good way with too much burnt toffee. Sounds like you're set on your plan but I'd advise against it.

You could always add some sugar to boost the gravity and reduce the dependence on the specialty grains. A pound of a simple sugar would bump the ABV to about 5%, though that could end up very dry. Maybe a warmer mash to offset that?

Uh Oh...well I used 6oz of Special B in an Amber ale and really didn't notice burnt toffee, or even the raisin/plum flavors others describe. To me it seemed like very dark caramel but I'm adding a lot more this time. Of course even most belgian dark ales have only 6 or 8 oz of special b. Perhaps I'll buy a 4 pounds of Maris otter to up the gravity...like a robust porter? How about a belgian yeast? Belgian dark ale...or Robust Belgian Porter?

I see several recipes for Arrogant Bastard clones that use a similar amont of Special b with 12-14 pounds of base malt with good results. Perhaps I save the centennial for my upcoming pale ale and instead I add 6 pounds of maris otter and 3 or 4 oz of chinook with a belgian yeast? Belgian Bastard!
5 gallons
6 pounds of 2row
6 pounds of maris otter
1 pound 10 oz Special b
6 oz of pale cholate
3.6 oz of roasted malt

Belgian yeast? Type?

I used the recipe in the previous post with 1oz of Chinook at 40, 20, 10, and 0 min of boil. IBU =70, OG 1.068, FG 1.010. I used one packet of Fermentis Safbrew S-33 yeast mixed with two packets of Munton's Standard yeast. It rocketed through the beer in two days, 5.75 gallons split between two 5 gallon carboys. It's not a clone of Arrogant Bastard but it is the same type of beer. Reminds even more of Founder's Dirty Bastard. Dark, fruity, bitter, piney with a roasty finish. Damn good beer. I must admit I am surprised as it was inspired by left overs!

Back