Left Over Beer (recipe suggestions?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I have a few things left over from a recent brew.....and some Melanoidin someone gave me.... I kind of changed my ingredients from the original plan, plus I like to get more than I need of anything so I have stuff left over to play with. My batch size will be 2.5 gallons, which is about perfect for a stove top project. Here's the stuff I have to play with:

Pale 2 row (plenty) (about 8 lbs)
Melanoidin 1 LB
Crystal 60 about 1.5 lbs

I have East Kent Goldings (half an oz left)
and an unopened package of Northern Brewer

Obviously I have more than enough to do something......the question is what ....

I'm thinking about 5 lbs of 2 row, 1/4 pound of Melanoidin, and 1/2-3/4 pound Crystal 60 for a nice rich red full flavor beer. I'd use a small amount of Northern Brewer for 30 min... maybe .5 oz, and some Goldings near flame out.

Comments? Suggestions? What will the Melanoidin do? Should I use more or less? I'm going on the assumption that neither the Melanoidin or the Crystal 60 will contribute much in the way of fermentable sugars...........Is this right?

This will be the first batch in my new "Walmart Fermenter"..... Three gallon acrylic Sun Tea jug. The small capacity fermenter I used on the last batch was just a tad too small. This one has a dome lid that will allow room for the krausen to rise without a blow off problem...........I hope....

H.W.

Comments? Suggestions? What will the Melanoidin do? Should I use more or less? I'm going on the assumption that neither the Melanoidin or the Crystal 60 will contribute much in the way of fermentable sugars...........Is this right?

Melanoidin is similar to using Munich malt. It's bready and very aromatic and helps impart a red color to beers. It must be mashed with the 2 row, unlike the crystal 60. It will give you more fermentables than the crystal 60. I'd use it to about 15% of the total grain bill. If it were me, i'd make a British Mild with what you have there. You might try some challenger hops for a bittering addition and your leftover EKG for an aroma/flavor addition at 20 mins. Maybe use some WLP002 yeast or Safale S04 to ferment it and enjoy!

Melanoidin is similar to using Munich malt. It's bready and very aromatic and helps impart a red color to beers. It must be mashed with the 2 row, unlike the crystal 60. It will give you more fermentables than the crystal 60. I'd use it to about 15% of the total grain bill. If it were me, i'd make a British Mild with what you have there. You might try some challenger hops for a bittering addition and your leftover EKG for an aroma/flavor addition at 20 mins. Maybe use some WLP002 yeast or Safale S04 to ferment it and enjoy!

15% seems like a lot to me.......... That looks like 4 pounds two row, 3/4 pound melanodin, and maybe a quarter pound of 60. OG of 1.055. I wanted to use the hops I have on hand.......EKG and Northern. The LHBS is a 80 miles away. I have safale US-05 on hand. The limitations of working within what I have on hand is what makes this interesting.

Latest posts

Back