Lees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Reaction score
Hello i had a stalled mead which i corrected and now it is close to if not done fermenting. my question is can i or should i age my mead on the lees? Or should i get the mead off of the lees a.s.a.p.?

What yeast are you using? Some yeast you do want to rack off soon like Lalvin 71B. Other yeast are incuragd to age on the leese for a while to incurage different flavors like Lalvin D47 if fermented cool. Most of my meads go up to 3 - 4 months on the leese then I usually rack then.

I rack whenever I have lees over about 1/4" thick, or any lees at all after about 60 days. I do not like the flavor that leaving the mead on the lees imparts.

Whereas as long as I've used a yeast where it isn't an issue, I rack off the gross lees once the ferment is complete then just let it clear. Only ageing on a small layer so as not too end up with too much of the taste.

A little can be good, a lot less so.....

Back