Illinois Learn to Homebrew Day event, St. Charles, IL.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
My homebrew club is putting on a "Learn to Homebrew Day" event in St. Charles, IL. There will be multiple brewers making beer in the parking lot of a newer small brewery, D and G Brewing Co.

We will all be doing extract batches to save time and show potential new brewers the likely starting process. We will be staggering the start times of the batches so the brewers will be in different stages.

The event is free, and we will have a raffle of various prizes, with proceeds going to Project Mobility, a local organization aimed at helping children, adults, and wounded soldiers with disabilities.

Feel free to post here or PM me if you have any questions.

This is an awesome opportunity, from starting homebrewers to seasoned ones, to see and talk about how other people brew! You always learn something that you would have never thought of. Even as simple as putting a windshield around your burner, even your kettle. Or how to do whirlpool hops, etc.

This is an awesome opportunity, from starting homebrewers to seasoned ones, to see and talk about how other people brew! You always learn something that you would have never thought of. Even as simple as putting a windshield around your burner, even your kettle. Or how to do whirlpool hops, etc.

Thank you @IslandLizard. I'm sure we will all learn something new that day. The owner of D and G Brewing Co will be out there brewing a batch with all of us too.

And it's hilarious that you mentioned a wind shield. Here's mine...

Thank you @IslandLizard. I'm sure we will all learn something new that day. The owner of D and G Brewing Co will be out there brewing a batch with all of us too.

And it's hilarious that you mentioned a wind shield. Here's mine...
That's a real treat to have the brewing Co. brew there too.

Awesome windshield you've got there!

For the same reasons, I always love going to the Big Brew event, I really miss the times I couldn't go.
I don't brew there (electric), but take a double shift grilling brats and manning the club table.

Last year one of our local breweries, DuClaw, brewed our State's Homebrew Guild's Anniversary beer, so we were there "helping" to brew it. And other things. It was a great party, grilling in the loading docks while the sleet came down on us. That was fun!
Brew efficiency was so high, it became an Imperial Honey Kolsch at 8.7% or so. Very tasty! Then 6 weeks later we had the real anniversary party there.

That's a real treat to have the brewing Co. brew there too.

Awesome windshield you've got there!

For the same reasons, I always love going to the Big Brew event, I really miss the times I couldn't go.
I don't brew there (electric), but take a double shift grilling brats and manning the club table.

Last year one of our local breweries, DuClaw, brewed our State's Homebrew Guild's Anniversary beer, so we were there "helping" to brew it. And other things. It was a great party, grilling in the loading docks while the sleet came down on us. That was fun!
Brew efficiency was so high, it became an Imperial Honey Kolsch at 8.7% or so. Very tasty! Then 6 weeks later we had the real anniversary party there.

That does sound like a blast.

Here's one of the many prizes that will be in the raffle drawing. 100% of raffle money will go to local charity organization Project Mobility. If you can't make it out on Saturday, raffle tickets are being sold at D&G Brewing Co and Broken Brix Home Brew Shop in St. Charles, IL. ahead of time.

Last edited:
This turned out to be a great event. The whether was perfect for early November. The brewer from D&G ended up doing his batch in the brewery, which worked well because he was letting people come in to check that out as well. We had guests there the entire day from 9am on, some never brewed, and some brewing over 20 years.

Thank you very much if you happened to stop out.

Back