Leap Year Mead 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First What Styple

• Cirtus

• Vanilla

• Previous Recpe (Please explain)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sure thing. The only thing is I did not create the center art, so not sure what you want there, since its not from the rat to the dragon anymore if I do 2008- 14, 16 and 20. But I could try to find a zodiac themed image to replace it with. I think it would be really cool.

Would you want 3 different labels? One for some opened in 4 years, then for those opened in 8 and then those opened in 12 years? I could definitely do it, and think it would turn out great. But you'll have to wait. I'm at my parents' house in Ohio for a week, so once I get back to my place I'll give it a whirl.

If anyone else wants something similar, give me a heads up and I will try to work with you.

PS Kahuna, do you want your brewery name or any other info? I could send you a powerpoint version so you could edit the brewery name and % abv, I just left it as XXX because I have no idea how this baby is going to end up.

Power Point Version would be cool.
could we (you) post it? or link to it? or would we need to host the file somewhere?
This way everyone could go in, stick in their ABV and Brewery name.

Well like I said, I am away from my pc till sunday, but I will re-edit the files into one powerpoint slide. How much does everyone want customizable? All the text? Just the brewery name and abv?

The easiest version I could put together would be an image of the background, the brew name, the center image, and the text below the image. Along with that would be two word arts for the abv and the brewery. This way everyone can literally just edit the text in those two places and BAM instant label.

Hey, I'm there like every other day this week visiting my girl haha. And I am leaving in 10 minutes for Dayton to visit my brother wow.

Here we are...nearly 20 days in. Mine is still bubbling VERY strong. Maybe a bubble every 5 to 8 seconds. Not even beginning to clear either. There is some yuck starting to form at the top, and there is getting to be a good layer on the bottom.

I guess I just wanted to check in and say hi.

Mine isnt bubbling anymore...I wonder if I should be worried? But I was thinking I should feed my yeast the last few pounds of honey soon.

Mine's not bubbling neither. FIgure I will check the SG Tuesday of next week, when I check all the others..

Glad mines is not the only one not bubbling..

Mine is still bubbling once ever 3-5 seconds here, so plenty of activity left in my 1 gallon.

Oh and for those interested, I am close to having a powerpoint file version of the label. I am having trouble getting the old school paper finish to it without using GIMP, so I will post up once I figure something out.

Edit: Well here is the updated image, it may look basically the same, but I had to edit it a fair amount to get each aspect in the right format, plus I centered the image on the antique paper a bit better. I have this exact image as a powerpoint file, so the text can be edited by each individual to meet their needs. I still need to host the powerpoint file somewhere.

LeapYearMead3.jpg

BigKahuna said:
Now I'm starting to worry.
WTF? All my beers have been fine. So I know the 68 - 72 ferment temp is ok. But Bufflao...seriously...'FEED THAT MEAD!" Get'er done brother.
Probably your honey was sweeter. Or the sugars were more complex? Less effective nutrient?

I know Im a lazy bas.tard! Thats probably how my brewery is going to be named.

Mine has stopped (or slowed WAY down) as well. The temp dropped a few degrees so I wasn't too worried. I broke my hydrometer last week so I can't take a reading until I get another one...

I still have to order my vanilla beans...so it is a "forced" patience at least.

Quick question - when we rack to secondary with beans in it...how long are we keeping it on the beans? until bottling?

-JMW

Would you believe I just read every single page of this thread on the edge of my seat? I can't wait to get some mead going; just got settled into my new place and heading to the SOLHBS on Saturday for carboy, yeast, a few other essentials. I have been planning a vanilla mead for weeks since I got interested in home brew, so was nice to run into this thread. Will probably use extract, however, since it's my first go at any brewing and really don't want to drop money on something I may screw over any how.

saltwater09 said:
Would you believe I just read every single page of this thread on the edge of my seat? I can't wait to get some mead going; just got settled into my new place and heading to the SOLHBS on Saturday for carboy, yeast, a few other essentials. I have been planning a vanilla mead for weeks since I got interested in home brew, so was nice to run into this thread. Will probably use extract, however, since it's my first go at any brewing and really don't want to drop money on something I may screw over any how.
If you do the extract, make sure you get PURE VANILLA..not the store brand imitation. It's going to save you...probably around $5.00 over ordering your beans online. But Don't worry...you'll like what you get...if you have the patients to wait it out.

Has anyone taken a hydro reading on their leap year yet?

The other night while I was brewing, I snagged a hydro sample and it's only at 1.04. I know that is silly because I have 4 years to wait but I'm a little concerned that my yeast is weak. I guess I expected it to drop a little faster . BTW, it's still fermenting slowly but steadily along.

It's funny because I can brew beer and wait for months before I try it but I'm peeking at this mead all the time. Maybe I'm just concerned because I have had one batch of mead go horribly wrong in a stinky slimy way. I really want this one to turn out nice.

Please give me your thoughts on hydro reading or even a little reassurance would be nice. :)

Mine is still fermenting enough that I'll bet a hydrometer wouldn't work right...from the bubbles. Not really a strong ferment, but more of a slow steady sort of thing...the visual is better than watching the air lock...because it doesn't bubble a lot, but there is a lot of bubbles rising in the carboy. I would assume that it's still got a lot of time to go.

Relax Nurmey...I'm sure that everything will be just fine...and then some.

Its funny this thread got bumped because IM FEEDING THE MEED TOMORROW!
No one is allowed to worry at all. We have years for this to age. Whatever mistakes we may have made will likely be fixed with years of aging.

Shoot...my mead I made 1/9/2008 is still bubbling (no activity in airlock) just tiny bubbles at surface.

I just need a couple weeks heads up so I can order my vanilla beans. I should be getting a new hydrometer (only my third in a year) this week.

-Will

That's cool with me, while I will be using it, it was for whoever wanted to use it in the group.

I assume my fermentation is finished... i'm at about .999; When is everyone planning on racking to secondary??

Neal

Man I still need to order my vanilla beans, perhaps tonight after dinner. So many things going on in life sometimes, you forget about all the important things! LIKE BREW!

Somehow, I think you've got time. If we're trying to stay roughly on the same schedule.
I think My plan...Unless Malkor says not to...Is to wait until we begin to clear, then rack to beans. Finish clearing, then rack off of beans. Bulk age for a long freeken time, Bottle and then wait another long freeken time.

Now I'm Really sad.
I am at 1.010 and going VERY slow now. I sure thought that as strong as it went, I'd be way lower. I guess that since I've got a 4 year wait, I will do just that. Unless someone has a better idea.

WAIT WAIT WAIT.
I've got a 5 gallon batch....my 1 gallon sister mead is WAY ahead of this, so I think that my 1.010 reading is because of the larger batch, It's just got more to convert. How bit are your batches Don Ho and Nealf?

Advice Please....
I fed my mead the last few pounds of honey. I just heated it a little and poured it in. I didnt see very much more bubbling after I added it. Should I add more yeast nutrient?

Mine is a 5 gallon batch!
Thinking about adding the last of my honey also.

Don "HO"

Mine is only a one gallon batch. I'll probably transfer to secondary sometime next week. I'm no mead expert by any means but I'm afraid of autolysis by leaving it on that old yeast for so long. Gotta stop by Whole Foods and hope they have vanilla beans.

Neal!

Back