Leaking post on ball lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to kegging and kegged a batch about two weeks ago and set the keg in my fermentation chamber until I'm ready for it. I just noticed a leak in the "out" liquid post with some beer residue leaking out. Does this need to be fixed? If so how? Or will it solve itself when I hook the keg up to my kegerator? Thank you!

IMG_20140621_112222_074.jpg

Yes that def needs fixed, hopefully it's just the o-ring around your liquid dip tube that needs replaced or lubed and re-seated, also could be that the post is just not tight enough. Depressurize your keg with the pressure relief valve on the lid or by pushing down on the center of the gas post. Grab a 7/8th or 11/16th wrench or socket (whatever fits your post) and remove the post (make sure it is depressurized or you will find out what a beer geyser looks like). Inspect your o-ring, the bottom lip of the liquid dip tube, the liquid post, as well as the male post affixed to your keg. Fix what needs fixed put everything back together and re-pressurize. Hope it's an easy fix cheers.

Edit: It almost looks like the liquid is running from the poppit in the center of the post (could be just the picture) if that's the case the o-ring on the poppit or the poppit itself could be damaged. When you remove the liquid post also take the poppit out and have a good look at it.

Yes, it does seem to be coming from the poppit. I've never taken one apart before so I guess it's time to dive in. Thank you for the input!

Play it smart and get a replacement (spare) so that the 'fix' is simple. Then analysis and repair of the part is not an urgent problem.

Did you try pressing the poppit down and letting itself re-seat? I've had this happen before, and I just depressed the poppit (beer shower!) and whatever is blocking it will come out, and it should seal.

If not, then open her up and check the poppit for damage. It might just need to be lubed too. You could also just hook it to your tapper now, and worry about it later...

I went ahead and took it apart, cleaned it and it seems to be working fine now. Also, went ahead and ordered a couple extras to have just in case for the future. Thanks for all the help!

I have same problem on my latest keg (gas post ((keg filled to brim)). Can I just put the gas disconnect on with gas pressure to make a seal? Or in the liquid out just put a tap on there?

I found it handy to have extra gasket sets, & poppets around. I have 20 kegs, and I go through and pressure test them with 30 lbs of Co2, and run soapy water out of a dish soap bottle over the posts an lid. If there is a leak you will see plenty of bubbles. When you tighten those posts down make sure they are tight, if they are and your gasket it good there is no need to ever use Teflon tape on the post threads. I found most of the time the poppet looks fine, but continues to leak, so I put a new one in and no problems. Due to leaks I have emptied a few Co2 bottles over the years. Just lost one this past week due to the connection at the regulator. I guess from taking of and on the Co2 bottles so many time the hose worked loose and all the gas leaked out. I always try to keep a spare on hand, and I have another in my brew house I use for pressure testing, or purging kegs after they are filled. I usually purge them and give them a 30 lb charge after they are filled just make sure the lid is sealed.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My keg poppet seals at 30 psi, it's just when I turn the gas off and the abosrbed co2 lowers the tank pressure.

Obviously you already fixed the issue but going forward make it a good practice to take all new to you (used) kegs completely apart for a thorough cleaning prior to the first use. I would clean the posts and poppets probably every few keg fills depending upon how quickly I go through a keg myself. It is just easy and good practice. The extra poppets have already saved me once and I've been kegging for less than 4 months.

I have same problem on my latest keg (gas post ((keg filled to brim)). Can I just put the gas disconnect on with gas pressure to make a seal? Or in the liquid out just put a tap on there?

Yeah. I do this with one of my kegs.

Sure, either or both. The poppet only seals when there's no disconnect attached; once the QD is installed the sealing function moves to the outer post o-ring...

Cheers!

Thanks guys. Is there a gasket in the QD or does the gasket around the keg post serve as the only leakage stop (both gas and out)?

Back