Leaking Corny Keg (gas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodgerdodger

Reaction score
I've just put 5 gal of IPA into a corny keg and noticed it is leaking CO2. I've tried the soapy water test, but can't find any bubbles. Any ideas for troubleshooting? I'd like to save the beer if possible.

When you noticed it is leaking CO2 I am assuming you hear it correct?

There are only so many places it can be leaking from. Make sure your liquid and gas posts are tight and not leaking. Unhinge your lid and pull straight up on it while injecting CO2 into the keg. A lot of the time I need to do that to get a correct seat/seal on the lid.

If you are still having problems get some keg lube and put it on your O-rings.

When you noticed it is leaking CO2 I am assuming you hear it correct?

There are only so many places it can be leaking from. Make sure your liquid and gas posts are tight and not leaking. Unhinge your lid and pull straight up on it while injecting CO2 into the keg. A lot of the time I need to do that to get a correct seat/seal on the lid.

If you are still having problems get some keg lube and put it on your O-rings.

No I can't hear anything, it's an incredibly slow leak. I can only tell by checking my gas pressure after an hour. I'd like to pressurize it and put it in a tub of water, but I don't want to lose the beer inside. I'll try the keg lube on the o-rings

You could pressurize it, flip it upside-down, and see where you have a slow drip coming from.

I tried a little bit of everything to solve this. Turns out it was the grey gas fitting. I replaced the fitting and put a bit of lube on the o-ring and it held pressure. I did try flipping it over, but since the keg was cold all the condensation ran down and I couldn't tell what was making what wet.

Back