Leaking CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
So I go get a 15 lb tank filled for the first time today. I've had it for a while just hadn't filled it yet. I'm on my way home and the tank starts hissing at me. Luckily I live super close so I hurried home and got her sealed up. It was the little plug with holes in it on the opposite side of the where the gas comes out (don't know what it's called or what it's for). I had to snug it up more than I was comfortable with considering it's brass to get it sealed. Sprayed it all down and I'm good now. Is this something that I should have made sure was tight before I took it in or is that something that gets loosened when they fill it? I've never had to touch the one on my small tank. Here's a pic. It's the thing sticking out to the left.

Picture 002.jpg

That is the burst release to protect it from exploding. I have had them leak a little right after they fill it it's super cold and as they warm the pressure gets high enough to hiss a little, but sounds like yours wasn't tight or the pressure/ temperature reached it's equilibrium.

It should have been tight to begin with, but apparently wasn't. That could have been catastrophic (and they should have noticed it when they were filling!)

However, if you still have CO2 in the tank then everything should be fine. That piece is a safety mechanism that releases all the CO2 if the pressure inside the tank ever gets too high. If that didn't happen, and you're not leaking, then you're good to go.

OK. Thanks guys. It's tight now so if they don't have to mess with it, I shouldn't have any more problems with it. I don't think I lost much. It was barely hissing at first and when the liquid started sloshing it would hiss louder in short bursts. It literally only took a minute or two to get home and I snugged it, leak tested and got it sealed. Probably didn't lose much more than venting a keg.

Latest posts

Back