Leak Between Keg and Coupler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitragorz

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick 8 sec video:

Got a fresh 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead today, put it in the Kegerator, and had hissing coming from the keg and the coupler. I've tightened down the thing as hard as I can by hand and it'll stop for a while, but eventually start hissing. I've turned off the gas and uncoupled the keg in the meantime to keep from emptying the tank.

Could it be a bad keg? Should I bring it back to the distributor? Any other thoughts?

I haven't used keg lube, and I'll take a look at the washer when I get home. I took a glance, but I'll give it a closer look.

I haven't used keg lube,
If you don't have keg lube, Vaseline will work well too.
I helps seat the rubber for a potentially better seal.
Also check for any "foreign matter" between the coupler bottom and the o-ring. Or a burr.

Could that coupler perhaps be worn?

It's possible that coupler needs a new washer. When I re-tapped last night, that coupler was sloppy loose even when turned all the way, which was strange bc it was fine a few nights ago. But I do have a two-tap setup, and the other coupler snugged up nice with no leaks. So I'm betting new washers are in order.

I'm getting a lot of bubbles in the lines with coupler #2, but that's a problem for another time.

I'm getting a lot of bubbles in the lines with coupler #2, but that's a problem for another time.
That's probably due to gas getting from the keg headspace (or directly from the coupler) into your beer line, because it doesn't make a good seal, which is needed to isolate the 2 channels (liquid and gas).

New washers for the coupler should fix it. Always good to have a few spare ones on hand.

Now, the keg mounts and spears themselves, as well as the washers/seals (inside), can be a bit worn out too. But you can't change those out without special tools and knowing how to do it. Besides, you'd need to completely depressurize the keg, before you can work on those.

There are two gaskets on the bottom of the coupler. The larger diameter one keeps gas from leaking out of the whole system. The smaller one on the tip of the spear keeps the gas and beer from mixing which is one reason why you might see gas bubbles in the serving line.

Latest posts

Back