Leaf hop off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkl

Reaction score
A while back, I noticed an almost metallic off flavor in some of my beers. Eventually, I thought I'd narrowed down the problem to dry-hopping. So I stopped doing that, and cranked up the hop stand amounts to make up for it.

Just recently, I brewed a black IPA that I sort of threw in a lot of my extra hops in, including the last of my Comumbus leaf hops, which I added at flame out. I drank the first one last night, and noticed the same off flavor. I think it was the leaf hops all along.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with leaf hops giving a metallic off flavor?

I guess the good news is I can start dry-hopping again, as long as I stick with pellets.

Would you describe it as tea-like or tanic? I've gotten that, but it's the sort of flavor and aroma that I, at least, immediately associated with the hops (in a not so good way.) Additionally, I've gotten it from pellet and leaf.

I think you could say that it's tea-like; some black teas kind of have a similar flavor. It's not very pleasant in beer, that's for sure.

Back