LD Carlson nutrient and energizer use with SNA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have both LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient as well as Energizer. The nutrient label says to dose 1 tsp per gallon of must, while the energizer says to dose 1/2 tsp per gallon.

1. Do you use both of these products together, or are they an "either, or" kind of thing?

2. If I'm planning to use a SNA schedule, does the dosing suggestions on label mean to use that amount every time I make an addition, or does it mean for the total amount used during the SNA schedule?

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I have both LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient as well as Energizer. The nutrient label says to dose 1 tsp per gallon of must, while the energizer says to dose 1/2 tsp per gallon.

1. Do you use both of these products together, or are they an "either, or" kind of thing?

2. If I'm planning to use a SNA schedule, does the dosing suggestions on label mean to use that amount every time I make an addition, or does it mean for the total amount used during the SNA schedule?

Thanks!
Your main issue is actually "knowing" how much nitrogen to use. Routinely, with nutrition, if you were to use just one, then energiser would be the one. It's a complete feed product, whereas "nutrient" is usually just DAP (di-ammonium phosphate).

This link, is excellent at giving you some idea of how much to use, but the problem is, pure DAP is fine as it provides about 200 ppm per gramme per litre. The only energiser products that seems to have any published data are the "Fermaid" range (the K is about 120 ppm per gramme per litre, the O is about 40 ppm etc).

So the LDC nutrient will likely be the same, but whether their energiser is the same as the fermaidK, I don't know.

Not tried it with LDC products, but with locally available products here, I just presume the same levels of nitrogen, but if you read Kens article about where possible H2S comes from, I work out how much nitrogen I want to use, but I then work back so that I use 2 parts energiser to 1 part nutrient, that way there's always enough of the non-nitrogen elements that the yeast like, available.

Obviously, if your batch has a fruit element, then there will be some of those elements in the fruit.

So with that in mind (and using the numbers I know of), a straight 2 to 1 ratio would be 240ppm from 2 grammes of the energiser per litre per gallon and another 200 ppm from 1 gramme of nutrient/ltr.

If you wanted to err on the safe side, then if you have a set of druggie scales (mine measure to 100th of a gramme - and were only about £8/$12), it's straight forward to work out the weights, but reduce by 20 or 25%.

I've managed to crunch the numbers using FermaidK (I have to mail order from the US ATM), but also with the locally available Tronozymol as well as the Nutrivit product I can get from Brouwland (across the Channel in Belgium).

As for working out the actual SNA you want to use, that's entirely up to you, just that I read a paper some years back (sorry, don't have a link, I'm still trying to find it again) that said that you can use up to 85% of the total up front and the rest should be added by the time that the batch hits the 1/3rd sugar break - I guess that meant that if you wanted to do 1 tsp of the needed total each day for 3 days or 3/4's once there's signs of active ferment and the last 1/4 at the 1/3rd break, that'd be fine. SNA schedules can be a contentious subject, as to which is actually "the best". Most seem to go with whatever works best for them........

Dunno if any of that helps or not........

Fatbloke, thank you for your reply! Your post has helped me a lot as I try to learn more about this art .

Back