LBHS in Cleveland?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzkramer

Reaction score
What are some reccomended shops in Cleveland? I live in Parma, near Brooklyn. I googled it and found 2 or 3 stores that are around 20-30 minutes from Parma, but nothing looked like they were large stores.

Once I move to all grain I'd like to pick up crushed grain/hops locally.

JW Dover (Westlake) on Detroit between Clague and Columbia is a great store. Lots of grains, extracts, and equipment. The owner is friendly and will take time to bullsh*t with you.

Rozi's (Lakewood) has some stuff, from talking to one of their sales guys it sounds like they're trying to expand. Its mostly extract with some grains, nice hop selection, and a few strains of White Labs yeast. Definitely check the date on the yeast if you buy there. They've got a decent selection of equipment though.

Warehouse Beverage and The Brew Mentor are on the east side.

since we're on the subject, are there any good brewing clubs in the area? i found one, SNOBS, but it seems like it's mostly older folks(not meant to offend to any members).

im 25 and im looking for somthing more along the lines of just getting feedback on beers and getting drunk. not so much on the "organized" portion that includes voting for presidents and annual fees to pay for camping trips and stuff. altough thats great to have, id like somthing more informal.

JW Dover is great. Jerome, the owner, has a brewery in the back. He's been very helpful to me.

Rozi's is pretty good too. They are a wine store though, not a homebrew store. I don't know where the expansion is going to go because they are pretty tight on space. I use Rozi's when I need some extra bottle caps or other odds and ends.

Leeners is supposed to be awesome. Ive never been, as a nondriver but ive been told it is quite worth the drive.
JW is good for some things but his grain and hops are pricey.
Rozis is a joke. Itts only good if your in a pinch and you need something quickly and theres no other option

You can buy bulk 2row from brew kettle for a good price. $45 for a 50lb bag a rahr.

You can buy bulk 2row from brew kettle for a good price. $45 for a 50lb bag a rahr.

I didn't know you could buy things from Brew Kettle. I'll have to make a trip out there one of these days.

Where's Leeners at? Is that the one in Kent? The one in Kent has Blichman equipment. I'll be out that way again one of these days. I normally just look for fish stores to visit when I'm out of town. Now I guess I'll have to check out homebrew shops too.

leeners is in northfiled. They sell grain from bulk bins in whatever amount you need. so your not stuck with an extra 3/4 pound of something you have no use for!

Check out brew kettle website, they sell all kinds of grain and hops.

The Grape and Granary in Akron is probably about a 45 minute drive for you, but worth it if your looking for something specific.

They carry just about everything.

another vote for the brew kettle, they'll even sell you kits to make their beers, plus 30 beers on tap make it a great place to visit.

as far as stores go, leeners is pretty good but the biggest I've seen so far is the brewmentor in mentor (east side). they just opened up last year and the place is just awesome. huge selection of ingredients and gear. they do clinics, send out e-mails and the owners are super cool and passionate about brewing. definitely worth checking out.

btw I cleaned them out of magnum and simco yesterday..:D

When it comes to supplies, I like The Brew Mentor http://www.thebrewmentor.com/ the are friendly and helpful even have a laptop set up with Beer Smith to help customers with recipes.There is also a decent beer store near by on the corner of 306 and 20 has a great selection of craft brews ranks with Warehouse Beverage IMHO. Warehouse is alright and the owner is helpful they just don't have a big selection.

As far as Brew Clubs. On the west side you have SNOB's, great club a lot of experienced brewers and helpful friendly atmosphere http://www.beersnobs.org/. On the east side you have Little Mountain Homebrewers Association http://www.freewebs.com/littlemountainhomebrewers/ some experienced brewers but a more loose organization than SNOB's, I would say more of a social club right now it's still a young club too. Both are have a fee to join but its worth it IMHO because of all the activities the have going on. Another east side group is the Lakeside Brewers Guild http://www.lakesidebrewers.net/ they are a experienced group of brewers that are friendly and helpful.

If your a member of SNOBS or LMHBA you an get a discount at Brew Mentor and a couple of other establishments.

I've started going to J W Dover since searching it a couple months ago. Being just 10-15 mins away is handy. Their website is a lil slow for me,& doesn't do justice to what they actually have on hand. The malts are a bit pricey,but the 1oz LD Carlson hops I bought were in the neighborhood of $1.35-$1,50. Not too bad to me. And US grown to boot.
They have just about anything you'd need to make beer on whatever level you are. They are also the home of Black Box Brewing. I was told the brew pub/restaurant in front of the building (right on the corner from the brew shop) sells their beer on tap,etc. Have to check that out one of these days. Maybe I'll see y'all there some day.:tank:

JW Dover is great. Jerome, the owner, has a brewery in the back. He's been very helpful to me.

I quite agree!!! The first time I went there Jerome had one of his brewers, I think it was Matt, give me a tour of their brewery and their process.

I'd like to have seen that too,but another HB'r walked in,& all three of us started talkin shop. Like what we used to call bench racin.

Back