Lawsuit Against Anheuser-Busch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ab inbev says that it meets the labeling laws. Now if I remember correctly and I may be wrong (just ask SWMBO) I believe that the avb has to be within .3% of what is put on the label here in the U.S. of A. compared to the .5% in Europe (source Brew Like a Monk, I think that is where I read it). Which is why large breweries blend their batches to achieve a more uniform product (source Bitter Brew). So it is possible that ab inbev is watering down their product yet still within the requirements of the law.

If I were AB-Inbev, I'd be watering it down to hit exactly the legally mandated .3% variance below the labeled value. That way AB lowers the overall cost of the ingredients while moving more liquid volume.

Its a 3% variance from label so 3% of 5 being 0.15, 4.85% to 5.15% would be the legally acceptable range.

two previous posts mentioned POINT 3 %, that's what I based it off of

and it is POINT 3, according to TTB

Hmmm, federal regulation says "(1) For malt beverages containing 0.5 percent or more alcohol by volume, a tolerance of 0.3 percent will be permitted, either above or below the stated percentage of alcohol." - title 27 section 7.71

It is not entirely obvious if the 0.3 percent is meant to be 0.3 percent alcohol, or 0.3 percent of the stated ABV. I'm leaning towards the former, based on the regulation for distilled spirits, which is much clearer:

(b) Tolerances. The following tolerances shall be allowed (without affecting the labeled statement of alcohol content) for losses of alcohol content occurring during bottling:

(1) Not to exceed 0.25 percent alcohol by volume for spirits containing solids in excess of 600 mg per 100 ml; or

(2) Not to exceed 0.25 percent alcohol by volume for any spirits product bottled in 50 or 100 ml size bottles; or

(3) Not to exceed 0.15 percent alcohol by volume for all other spirits.
Title 27 section 5.37

"It's not beer. It's Wharmpess."
wharmpess.png

Do you wear Levi's? Drive a Chevy, Yota, Lex, Benze, Bimmer, Honda? Do you drink Pepsi, Coke, Dr Pepper? Use Colgate? OralB? Listerine? Buy Pennzoil?

How about them Footlong coneys? Ever eat one of those? How about chihuahua and a burrito, that ring any bells?

Bet you bought minimum coverage from a Lizard didn't you.

Cookies made by Elves? Count the hours on a Timex, Rolex?

Cook yer dinner on a T-Fal? Wash yer Levis in a whirlpool?

Shall I continue?

I didn't say it was wrong, just said it was different. If you deny the fact that ABInbevs main source for attracting customers is in their clever, multi-million dollar advertising, is different than say how Half Acer Brewing attracts customers, then your head is much higher in the clouds than mine is.

I guess my initial statement could come across as a Big Corporate hater with the way I listed things, but honestly, Quality, taste and word of mouth are different to a Craft brewery than they are to ABI.

I'm not some anti-corporate elitist either, even though you try to make me out as that, although I find it funny that, I don't use or eat most of the things you list there.

I guess what really gets me, is in the end, I defended ABI, yet you chose to eliminate that from my quote though, to suit your purposes. I am not in denial that any craft brewer would become the next Budweiser if they could. I would think most would love that level of success. To deny their business models are different though, makes you look as bad as anyone you are blasting on the boards here.

I didn't say it was wrong, just said it was different. If you deny the fact that ABInbevs main source for attracting customers is in their clever, multi-million dollar advertising, is different than say how Half Acer Brewing attracts customers, then your head is much higher in the clouds than mine is.

I guess my initial statement could come across as a Big Corporate hater with the way I listed things, but honestly, Quality, taste and word of mouth are different to a Craft brewery than they are to ABI.

I'm not some anti-corporate elitist either, even though you try to make me out as that, although I find it funny that, I don't use or eat most of the things you list there.

I guess what really gets me, is in the end, I defended ABI, yet you chose to eliminate that from my quote though, to suit your purposes. I am not in denial that any craft brewer would become the next Budweiser if they could. I would think most would love that level of success. To deny their business models are different though, makes you look as bad as anyone you are blasting on the boards here.

Ha. So it's shameful for AB-InBev to spend their monies on creative adverts but all those others that I listed, that also use clever schemes like Polar Bears, Lizards, and little people with pointy hats, are exempted from their marketing transgressions?

Of course the buisiness models are different but the end game is still the same. Make money. You suggest that AB-InBev is focused on marketing forsaking product quality, how is that exactly? Millions of dollars spent in state of the art controls, facilities, on site laboratories, strict controls on raw materials ... the ability to produce one of the most difficult styles of beer consistently, around the world, with enough volume to pickle a community of baleen whale. How can that be construed as not having a focus on quality?

My argument is that they have a much higher focus on quality. Such a strong focus on quality that they are renowned for the result.

But oh, you don't "like" their product so that MUST mean they don't know what they are doing and therefore rely soley on convincing the masses that if the frog says buy it ... then who are we to deny the frog.

You don't like the product? That's fine. Leave it at that.

i just hope its true.... although unfortunately it probably wont be proven in court

This whole discussion/argument is pointless without some laboratory data backing up this claim.

yup which i figure these people claiming the suit dont have. after reading the article on cnn they were quite vague with how they derived there was less than 5% in Bud

I thought it was funny that the gents that were bringing this claim were essentially saying, "how can we get drunk if they're watering it down?!" Somehow I doubt they were doing some sort of calculation of alcohol per dollar across varying beers and spirits. (Side note, if getting drunk is your goal, is beer the cheapest method? Or is it some other spirit?)

My argument is that they have a much higher focus on quality. Such a strong focus on quality that they are renowned for the result.
You work for In-Bev, cause if you dont you should ask for a job. I heard they pay good, just dont hire full time employees

Dang! foot-long subs are not really a foot long and 5% beer not really 5%. Come on now! Quit trying to scam and bring the quality back

This whole discussion/argument is pointless without some laboratory data backing up this claim.

I have results from 143 sealed lab tests and 4002 controlled tests, as well as a 1.3 million person poll.

the results are 100.5% conclusive with a .03% (by abv) differential.

The result: Inbev = pure EVIL.

You work for In-Bev, cause if you dont you should ask for a job. I heard they pay good, just dont hire full time employees

No, no, no. No way in hades I'd work for a brewery. Already done my time of back breaking labor in teh construction trades.

Nor am I particularly fond of the product (between Bud, Kurz, and Sapporo i always choose Sapporo). I do, however, have the utmost respect for what it takes to produce it.

The ridicule that results from any mention of Bud is as ludicrous as accusing the makers of 7-Up for marketing and QC transgressions cause they don't have as much flavor as Jones soda.

And yet, AB-InBev employ more Americans per can of "piss lager" than many of these revered "Craft Breweries" ever dreamed of having, prior to getting bought.

I have results from 143 sealed lab tests and 4002 controlled tests, as well as a 1.3 million person poll.

the results are 100.5% conclusive with a .03% (by abv) differential.

The result: Inbev = pure EVIL.

We get it. You think InBev is evil. Is there a reason you feel the need to keep saying it over and over and over and over and over and over... and over and over again? :p

Agreed. Look what happened with Maker's Mark.

What happened with Maker's Mark?

F**k Inbev. They are evil.

I bet your retirement fund(s) invest in them. Does that change your mind? ;)

Yeah, I'm sure with data all of the InBev haters will suddenly change their mind. ;)

Wasn't it Toyota also that got busted for misrepresenting mileage stats?

I thought they misrepresented accelerator cables?

Ha. So it's shameful for AB-InBev to spend their monies on creative adverts but all those others that I listed, that also use clever schemes like Polar Bears, Lizards, and little people with pointy hats, are exempted from their marketing transgressions?

Of course the buisiness models are different but the end game is still the same. Make money. You suggest that AB-InBev is focused on marketing forsaking product quality, how is that exactly? Millions of dollars spent in state of the art controls, facilities, on site laboratories, strict controls on raw materials ... the ability to produce one of the most difficult styles of beer consistently, around the world, with enough volume to pickle a community of baleen whale. How can that be construed as not having a focus on quality?

But oh, you don't "like" their product so that MUST mean they don't know what they are doing and therefore rely soley on convincing the masses that if the frog says buy it ... then who are we to deny the frog.

You don't like the product? That's fine. Leave it at that.

OK, you win.

EDIT: I still don't get where you think I hate this company so much though. Did I touch a nerver or something?

In my opinion, “Class Action Lawsuits” are designed by big law firms with the sole intent of shaking down businesses. Whether you like or dislike the beer, what are the real damages here? If the quality suffered, people would simply move to another brand. This is all about Lawyers looking for free money.

Yeah, if the suit does end up having any merit here's how it will shake out:

Any consumer who saved a receipt for any of the affected AB-Inbev products they bought gets a coupon in the mail for 4 cents off their next case of beer.

The lawyers involved each get new private jets.

It came out that they would be watering down their bourbon in order to stretch supply. From 45 to 42% ABV. Giant crapstorm ensued. Two weeks later they said nevermind, we won't do that.

I didn't know that...

What we need to do is sue V8 juice for changing their volumes to 11.5oz in a can. ********.

To clarify - are you referring to craft breweries or AB?

I would argue that "Quality" is relative and subjective. If you're referring to AB then IMO, they are more renowned for their consistency rather than quality. The two terms are commonly used in conjunction and interchangeably, but they are different.

If people can sue McDonalds for making them fat, why don't they just sue AB for convincing them to drink a beer that tastes terrible? It would be a whole lot less complicated that way.

Well reguardless if this gets proved true or is a falsity, the damage to their public image has already been done. I don't really care for the corp but I'm sure shareholders will be a bit worried.

Agreed! These kind of threads usually devolve into a BMC bash fest. I'd be interested to see if there is any merit to this.

But BMC is so bashable. Bashing is fun, you should try it. It's Bully's cousin.

And if you can believe it, BMC is invincible and delicious, so bashing them doesn't change anything. It just makes you look like a snob to people who drink BMC.

As a employee of a Budweiser wholesaler I was told to maintain a "no comment" stance...

Back