Lavender lemonade light ale, need some touchup help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Durandal

Reaction score
Hey all,

It's starting to get warm out, and my mind is on a nice summer refreshing beer. The goal here is something in the session genre, light, bitter with maybe a touch of tart, hoppy, with a strong lavender lemonade character.

Here's the recipe so far:

~1.040 OG
~4.0 ABV
25-27 ibu

7.5 lb Marris Otter at 150°

Boil 60 min

.5oz Cascade 30min
1oz Cascade 50min

Safeale US05 unless someone has a better recommendation

Dry hop:
1 oz Cascade
1 oz fresh lavender flower

I still need some info on how to go about adding lemon for the character I'm looking for. Any thoughts on that or anything else with the recipe?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Rev 2 after some more reading on adding the lemon flavor.

Basically, we're adding lemon zest and juice during late boil, plus a little in dry hop. Also reduced the hops in dry hop to let the lemon flavor take more of the spotlight.

Just as a side note, the lemon/lavender flavors are really amazing together.

~1.040 OG
~4.0 ABV
25-27 ibu

7.5 lb Marris Otter

Mash at 150°

Boil 60 min

.5oz Cascade 30min
1oz Cascade 50min
Zest from 2 lemons 50min
strained juice from 2 lemons 55mins

Safeale US05 unless someone has a better recommendation

Dry hop:
.5 oz Cascade
1 oz fresh lavender flower
1 oz lemon zest

STILL really interested in a yeast recommendation. I'd be very happy with something that ferments with some cirtis 'off' flavers, even sour notes would be attractive.

Maybe you could try looking at a Berliner Weisse recipe. Skip the bitter and go for tart. Might go nice with lavender.

I would leave out the juice, but go with a ton of lemon zest. Citrus juice fermented is not nice (acidic, vomit-y taste. no bueno).

In my experience, Citra is more melony than citrus when used in the boil. I can't speak to when you dry hop with it.

I made a witbier with fresh lemongrass stalks instead of any citrus peel and it came out really good...1 oz in a 10 gal batch, boiled for 20 minutes. If you want it to have more of a lemonade taste, you may want to try 1 oz in 5 gal. I think the aroma of the lemongrass would work well with the lavender. However, the lemongrass will not give you much tartness.

S05 is a pretty neutral yeast so it won't be a mistake, but perhaps one of the Belgian strains would dry it out more and give you a little extra fruitiness. Mashing low (148-150) will give you a very fermentable wort and that will make the finished beer more dry and tart.

Let us know how it goes - I was just tending to the lavender patch in my garden last night!

I would look at subbing out some of the cascade hops for Sorachi if you want a lemon appeal. Maybe a blend with some citra.

Back