Laundry/Brewing Closet - Drawbacks??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
So as I sit here on a rainy Sunday looking at another postponed brew weekend I think it's finally time to move operations indoors. I originally had this grand plan of taking over part of the basement, framing out a nice brew room with 240v outlet, plumbing for water in / waste out etc....but that project will take me years given my current budget constraints. Then it dawned on me......what about the laundry closet? We have front loaded washer and dryer in a closet right off the kitchen. It's already got the electric hookups and water in/out that I need. I am thinking about going with a 2 vessel system using a 220v induction cooktop for HLT/BK and a 120v induction cooktop for the MT. Think the only thing that I'd need to figure out is how to address the moisture. I'll also want to rig this so it's easy to setup/takedown as my wife would prefer I don't leave everything sitting on the washer/dryer 24/7. I may still eventually get everything setup in the basement but I think this may be a good compromise in the meantime and will allow me to tweak my system over the next year or two before going with any kind of permanent solution in the basement.

Wondering if anyone else is using their laundry closet for this and if you have any pictures of your setup to help me get ideas.....esp with regard to the venting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ventilation through the dryer vent should take care of that for you. You might be able to frame something out if you were handy and creative, but I wouldn't feel like it would be ideal to use your laundry room. You'd be able to do the same thing in a garage or basement without the hassle of modifying your laundry space. My Wife would kill me for even thinking about it and I couldn't imagine how horrible it would be if you had a boil over on or near your washer/dryer.

I considered the boil over / spillage issue. I typically am brewing 3 gallon batches these days using 8 gallon kettles so typically have plenty of head space and don't run into boil overs....but murphy's law right.......so I would need to add a platform to sit on top of the washer/dryer anyways and was going to build this like a big drip tray so that if there was any boil over it would be caught and not get onto the washer/dryer. I'd pretty much always be in the room during the boil anyways so if I saw it getting close to going over I should be able to intercept rather quickly. I agree that the basement is better suited for this long term and will most likely be the permanent location for the brewery but the laundry room option gives me a chance to start brewing indoors now as I work to build the basement setup over the next year or 2.

I do my 3 gallon batches on the stove in the kitchen during winter months and rainy days. I actually prefer it because of access to water, sink, computer, etc. I chill using an IC downstairs in the basement after my initial ice bath in the sink. The rest of the operation (pitching, clean up) continues downstairs.

I wouldn't try to depend on my dryer vent for ventilation, as the moisture would wreak havoc with the lint already accumulated in the vent hose.

The dryer vent usually sees a good bit more heat and velocity through it when the dryer is in use.

I wouldn't try to depend on my dryer vent for ventilation, as the moisture would wreak havoc with the lint already accumulated in the vent hose.

The dryer vent usually sees a good bit more heat and velocity through it when the dryer is in use.

Call me a necromancer....

But I've had the same idea. Isn't a dryer putting out a good bit or moisture, too?

Im doing about the same thing, but my laundry room is in a mud room, so Im just going to open the door for ventilation. I might at some point tap the dryer vent, but Im not sure it is needed.

It is absolutely a perfect location though. I bought some simple plumbing fixtures to split off the cold water from my washer. Im going to put a ball valve and camlock on it so I can switch it between my plate chiller and water filter. Im going to run waste "gray" water into the washing machine. Anything more will get tossed outside or taken into the kitchen where there is a drain. All in all, its a good spot.

....but murphy's law right.......so I would need to add a platform to sit on top of the washer/dryer anyways and was going to build this like a big drip ....
Sissy . . .

here's where I brew. :D

Brewery_06.jpg

My induction unit instructions say not to place it on a metal surface, it can heat both the pot and top of the washer or dryer.

Latest posts

Back