Late Season Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I have about 70 hop plants growing like gang-busters at this point. One variety that I wanted badly to get in the ground this year is cascades, but I missed my early spring window. I ended up planting them in small 1/2 gallon containers to get them started.

I consider myself an expert gardener and have realized that many folks around here are unaware of two main growing seasons (spring/fall). If timed correctly, you can plant something towards mid to late summer and have a fall harvest before frost sets.

My question is for anyone who might have planted hops late summer- and what it will do for the plant. I would be curious to see if they would bud late, and have a decent crop. My main goal would be to just get them in the ground so they have a good crop next year. I know I could wait until the bine(s) die down from the container, but I want maximum root growth and feel the ground would do a better job even late summer.

Any advice here?

I planted two hops this year in early June and they are definitely stunted as far as the summer season goes, but the biggest of the two is about 8' long and starting to flower now, I'm pretty confident that I will have a half decent hop harvest in early fall. And the small guy is doing really well, but I did not trim the binds on him. He was literally a runner we just ripped out of the ground from the main plant and I figured what the hell and planted it, but it has 5 binds all together and is growing strong. It's got some very aggressive leaf growth and is about 4' long now. I don't anticipate anything as far as flowers or cones go but it will develop a great root system. As far as the moving of the plant, I have mine in 5 gallon pots and I will leave them in those until early next spring and I will transfer them into the soil just so they can run their course and then relax for the winter and not get shocked from the move. With your hops tho in 1/2 gallon pots I would definitely move them into something larger, other wise the roots might get bound and choke itself out.

I'm still really new to growing hops as this is my first year but based off what I have read and heard from people that's the best opinion I can offer, I hope it was able to help a little :)

Oh and my hops are Galena and Centennial :mug:

Latest posts

Back