late boil additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BohWarden

Reaction score
Im brewing a belgian white and the recipe calls for late boil additions such as cinnamon, coriander, and orange peel. These are all floating at the top on my kettle. Is it ok to dump them in my fermenter with the rest of my beer?

Thanks,
Andrew

No, Strain that stuff out. You don't want it in your primary fermentation

If it calls for them to be put in the boil, I'm assuming they're meant to be strained out.

Yeah,I use hop sacks for them in the boil myself. I remove them at flame out or when done chilling. Going into the fermenter,they might get too strong.

Yeah,I use hop sacks for them in the boil myself. I remove them at flame out or when done chilling. Going into the fermenter,they might get too strong.

+1 I also use a sack to keep my adjuncts in control, cheap 1 gal paint strainer sack, work great!

Cheers :mug:

Thanks for the help everybody! I was able to strain most of the orange peel and cinnamon out but the coriander seeds were too numerous. I think next time I'm in a similar situation I Will use hop sacks in my boil.

Also, quick side question-- there is absolutely no activity in my airlock but a thick krausen on top. Is this typically a sign that the yeast are doing their thing? (Will take a gravity reading in a few days)

Thanks again

You are fine. It is just possible CO2 is escaping elsewhere. If there is krausen there is definitely fermentation going on. As the Beatles say: "Let it be".

Back