Late addition hanks heffe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japsw20

Reaction score
Hey guys, this will be my 2nd batch (first batch was extremely syrupy/bitter/twangy) I will be using a midwest hanks heffe extract kit. I am doing a partial boil of 3 gallons. I am going to try a late addition to try and improve the beer overall, the kit comes with 6 lb LME and 1 lb DME, I was thinking starting my boil with the 1lb of DME then the 6lb LME 10 minutes to flame out, what do you guys think? also any tips with this style of beer?

Consider waiting until flame out to add the late addition. It will be hot enough to pasteurize the extract, and you don't have to worry about bringing the wort back to a boil.

There has been a lot of talk about how the volume of the boil and the amount of extract you have in the boil can affect your hop utilization. You could possibly end up with a beer that is more bitter than intended if you only add one pound of LME to 3 gallons of water. While the best idea would be to play around with beer calculus or some other brewing software to determine the ideal early extract amount, just as a rough guess, I might try to keep the ratio of extract to water consistent with what it would be for a full boil. For instance, if this was a five gallon kit calling for seven pounds of malt extract, I would add 4.2 pounds of malt extract to the three gallons of water, and then add the remaining 2.8 pounds at flameout.

This is a great recipe and I agree with everything HerbieHowells wrote. I bottled after 2 weeks in a primary and ended up with a lot of sediment in the bottles. A lot more than normal. Next time I make it - and I definitely will again soon - I will do 1 week in the primary and 2 in the secondary (despite the strong sentiment on here that a secondary is generally not necessary). Also, be sure to use a blow off tube if you use liquid. I used WLP300 and it went nuts.

This is a great recipe and I agree with everything HerbieHowells wrote. I bottled after 2 weeks in a primary and ended up with a lot of sediment in the bottles. A lot more than normal. Next time I make it - and I definitely will again soon - I will do 1 week in the primary and 2 in the secondary (despite the strong sentiment on here that a secondary is generally not necessary). Also, be sure to use a blow off tube if you use liquid. I used WLP300 and it went nuts.

did you do a full boil? late additions? and also what temp did you ferment at?

I was also planning on doing this kit in the near future. Hefeweizen is one of my favorite styles. I've also used late malt addition but I wonder if it may not be appropriate for the style. The BJCP Style Guidelines calls for it to have 8-15 IBU's, so the increased hop utilization could detract from the finished product unless you wanted a bigger hop profile. You can get a free trial of BeerSmith2, which allows you to enter your recipe and calculate IBUs taking into account late extract additions.

If you decide to do it, I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

-bben

well its been in the primary 24 hours and has been bubbling away 3 hours after i pitched the starter in a 62 degree swamp cooler.

steeped 8 oz carapils grain for 45 minutes

57% - 4lbs Briess wheat LME
14% Muntons Light DME

Late addition
29% 2lbs Briess wheat LME

60 min boil with 1oz tettnang hops

Wyeast 3068 pitched from 1L starter

OG 1.050

Beer calculus calls for 17.9 IBU

Back