Last two hops on earth POLL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose your hops:

• Cascade

• Hallertau

• Simcoe

• EKG

• Fuggles

• Willamette

• Centennial

• Amarillo

• Tettnanger

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
It goes without saying that these should probably be versatile hops for brewing many different beers, and please limit yourself to only ONE or TWO choices to keep this thing useful for deciding what is most veratile.

If OTHER is one of your choices, please list it below.

PS:
I just wanted to make this a bit easier than reading through the whole that other thread and taking a tally - we can leave this up and see the chart!

I like my Chinook :)
Willamette works well for a wide variety of ales.
Ofcourse a good British would be a good idea so maybe I should have chosen EKG:confused:
I'm glad I don't have to be limited to just a few varieties. Even if most of the popular ones have disappeared there are still plenty of varieties to play with.
Craig

Dude said:
Didn't we just do this?
As seen in the original post of this thread ;)
NitrouStang96 said:
I just wanted to make this a bit easier than reading through the whole that other thread and taking a tally - we can leave this up and see the chart!

Hallertauer and Cascade, I think I could make great beer with the both of them if they were the only two left. Thank God I don't have to only choose from two :D

Of all these hops, Amarillo's got to be my favorite - but it's not the most flexible of hops. Cascade and Halletertau are both dual-purpose and can be used to make probably the widest range of beers (maybe excepting EKG, but I'd rather have "domestic" and German beers ahead of English ales). You could get by with the Hallertau in a lot of Belgian recipes, too.

A little off topic, but what does "EKG" stand for? I see tons of references to this variety, but it seems to be so commonly known that the acronym is never explained.

Powchekny said:
A little off topic, but what does "EKG" stand for? I see tons of references to this variety, but it seems to be so commonly known that the acronym is never explained.

East Kent Goldings

I voted EKG and Hallertauer because I love British and German beer... and I think I could manage a Belgian now and then with those.

I just read some breedings, and it turns out that Cascade came mostly from Fuggles at 1/2 English Fuggle, 1/4 Fuggle, 1/4 Russian Serebrianka.

I voted for Centennial and EKG although I would prefer to have Styrian Goldings over EKG. With Styrians, I could make a very wide variety of beers from British to Belgian. As for the Centennials, I love them. Good AA and good aroma and flavor, versatile.

Cheers

the_bird said:
Of all these hops, Amarillo's got to be my favorite - but it's not the most flexible of hops. Cascade and Halletertau are both dual-purpose and can be used to make probably the widest range of beers (maybe excepting EKG, but I'd rather have "domestic" and German beers ahead of English ales). You could get by with the Hallertau in a lot of Belgian recipes, too.

Why isn't amarillo dual purpose?

I guess you could bitter with Amarillo, but it just doesn't strike me as *aggressive* enough for some styles. Like, if I were brewing an IPA, I'd use it for flavor and aroma, but not necessarily for bittering. It's what I love about the hop - the fact that the bittering it lends tends to be pretty smooth - means that I would often be hoping for something with a bit more kick on a big American IPA. MITRB, for example, has a ton of Amarillo for the late additions, but I'm using other stuff for bittering.

Back