Last non BMC beer you've dumped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
So i sit here drinking a Shipyard Pumpkin Spice left over from a Halloween party I had. I bought it more for the ladies in attendance. It is absolutley terrible and watery tasting. I think I'm going to dump it and I'm not one to waste beer but this stuff is not good. In recent months I also dumped a Berghoff Oktoberfest that was equally bad and also bought on a whim for that same Halloween party. Some beer I don't like I can drink but these two are **** (my very humble opinion of course). I think I'm gonna have to wash the taste out of my mouth with a Three Floyds product (best beers ever)

what about you guys ever not like stuff and dump it?

Dumped an Anheuser-Busch Bourbon-Barrel-Aged Vanilla Beer. It was just another ****ty BMC product as far as I'm concerned.

Also dumped a Pumpkin spice beer also from Anheuser-Busch.

Before that, I dumped a Sam Adams Oktoberfest.

Before that, I dumped a Leinenkeugels Summer Wheat.

I'm close to dumping the Firestone Double Barrel Amber. I won't dump it, but it is basically Fat Tire on steroids, and I really don't like Fat Tire much at all. If you like Fat Tire, you should LOVE this stuff.

I was all excited to try it since I like their pale ale so much. Oh well.

I may have to dump the remaining Sam Adams Summer lemon things whatever the hell they are. Yucko! I need the bottles

Oh, and some other miscellaneous New Belgiums taking up valuable bottle space. Gonzo! And YUCKO! Get that kafir lime thingy or whatever out of my beer!

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. I bought a summer sampler that had two in it. YUCK!

Sir Humpsalot said:
Also dumped a Pumpkin spice beer also from Anheuser-Busch.

My wife bought me some of that, I've come close to dumping it myself - some damn nasty ****

I also wanted to try Sweetwater "Blue" ( Blueberry Flavor Beer ) so I bought a six pack. Its kind of gross as well. Haven't dumped it yet, but most likely thats what will end up happening to it.

Lancaster Milk Stout
several beers from a Breckenridge sampler case
an Oaked Yeti that neither I or my GF could finish.

The only commercial brew that I've dumped is Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. I kept it around for a month or so hoping that someone would drink it, but I finally got tired of looking at it.

Everything else I've had was palatable even if it was only 1 beer at a time and consumed very slowly.

Mutilated1 said:
My wife bought me some of that, I've come close to dumping it myself - some damn nasty ****

I also wanted to try Sweetwater "Blue" ( Blueberry Flavor Beer ) so I bought a six pack. Its kind of gross as well. Haven't dumped it yet, but most likely thats what will end up happening to it.

Send the sweetwater to me
SWMBO loves it and we cant get sweetwater products this far north. Dont be afraid to send some of their 420 along with it :)

bigjohnmilford said:
Quote Sir Humpsalot Dumped an Anheuser-Busch Bourbon-Barrel-Aged Vanilla Beer.

+1 perhaps the worst beer ever

x3. I almost gaged on my first sip.

Dogfish head Midas Touch, poured that one out fast

can't rememer the name but it was a german smoked beer a few years back.
tasted like the brewery burned and they bottled the runoff water

Ryanh1801 said:
Dogfish head Midas Touch, poured that one out fast
Weird, I thought the midas touch was great. And at the last brewing festival I went to, people seemed to agree as the DFH booth ran out of midas touch quickly. Of course, it's really not beer per se, more of a mead/beer/wine/thing hybrid so I guess if you're expecting beer you're going to be shocked. To each his own.

The last beer I dumped was a Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale... I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it tasted like at the time, but the spices were overwhelming, coating my mouth and throat and just shy of an unpleasant tingling sensation. All my friends tried it and agreed. It ruined my night, because no matter what else I drank, I couldn't get that god-awful taste out of my mouth. I later made the connection to incense and/or potpourri - might smell nice but you sure don't want to drink it.

rod said:
can't rememer the name but it was a german smoked beer a few years back.
tasted like the brewery burned and they bottled the runoff water

that stuff is really an acquired taste. i was in bamberg once and they had a blurb on a bar menu that said you needed to get to your third beer and you'd be hooked. i didn't even finish one.

last beer i tasted that i didn't like was flying fish belgian dubbel. too strong tasting, matured in bourbon casks (which might, of course, appeal to some).

and bear in mind i'm drinking my first home brew that still has a hint of cardboard about it, i'm not exactly discerning.

I forgot one terrible one I dumped recently - Seadog Blueberry ale. It tasted like somebody already drank it once. That was officially the worst beer I've ever tasted.

All pumpkin ales.....except one. Fasson had one with huge jack'o'lanterns on the sixer. It was actually quite good. Amazing.

I like that sweetwater blue, haven't had it in a while, maybe my palette has matured, but I used to really enjoy it back in the day.

I've never dumped anything. I can always suffer through. I gave away about 5 budweisers at the end of a camping trip once, though. Does that count?

Never dumped a whole sixer, if I paid for it, I'll suffer through it (Jewish guilt...). But, I almost dumped an Old Chub last night, something i ate with dinner really changed the flavor of that beer, or maybe I got a bad batch, it tasted like coffee yogurt, which I normally like, but not in my beer...suffered through it though.

I often have to dump out my "one more before bed" beer the next morning because I end up falling asleep on the couch, but I don't think that's where this is going.

The last one I remember dumping was my own. It was 5 gallons of crap and didn't get any better after aging for quite a while. I needed the tap, so out it went.

Some Sam Adams cranberry lambic... Wasnt in the mood for something that sweet. Tasted like canned cranberry sauce.

I dumped a Paulaner Double Bock last night. We had to get going and I didn't want to chug a 7.9% abv 24oz. beer on the way out the door.

Drunkensatyr said:
Tried DFH 60 3 times.....all three went down the drain.

Wow, I think that's the first bad comment I've head about that beer. Just don't like the style? ...or their offering?

Ó Flannagáin said:
Sam Adams should just stop making beer alltogether.

:off: Between what they do for the "scene" and their decent offerings, I think that's a tad harsh. People just shouldn't buy into the concept that they are the be-all-end-all of craft beer and accept them for what they are...a sizable operation, readily available around the states that brew a viable alternative to BMC when more favorable options don't exist. That said, some of their seasonal stuff is not to my liking.

rdwj said:
Wow, I think that's the first bad comment I've head about that beer. Just don't like the style? ...or their offering?

Hahaha I am a hop head through and through. IIPA on tap right now as a matter of fact. I had HUGH hopes for that beer.... I must have gotten a bad batch. Dunno but never going to try it again (unless it is free)

Ó Flannagáin said:
Sam Adams should just stop making beer alltogether.

Kinda harsh isn't it?
For a national brand they put out a nice variety of beers, not just REGULAR and LI(GHT/ITE).
Granted, not all their styles are to my liking (I HATED their trippel bock). But for a big brewer, they are innovative in their line up-they still seem to have a homebrewer's spirit, rather than just put out a another "me too" style.

Back on topic-I'm also too cheap to dump something I've paid for...

brewt00l said:
:off: Between what they do for the "scene" and their decent offerings, I think that's a tad harsh. People just shouldn't buy into the concept that they are the be-all-end-all of craft beer and accept them for what they are...a sizable operation, readily available around the states that brew a viable alternative to BMC when more favorable options don't exist. That said, some of their seasonal stuff is not to my liking.

IMO I've never had a Sam Adam's I liked. I think they are deceiving people into thinking certain styles taste a certain way. It really screws up some people's perceptions on what some beers should be like. They're hurting the craft brew scene if anything.

Drunkensatyr said:
Hahaha I am a hop head through and through. IIPA on tap right now as a matter of fact. I had HUGH hopes for that beer.... I must have gotten a bad batch. Dunno but never going to try it again (unless it is free)

60 is pretty tasty IMHO...all the DFH IPAs seem a bit tilted to the malt side from my POV compared to many of the more crushing hop-centric IPA/IIPAs, but I haven't had any drain pours from their 60/90/120 series. Some folks definitely dislike them though.

Ó Flannagáin said:
IMO I've never had a Sam Adam's I liked. I think they are deceiving people into thinking certain styles taste a certain way. It really screws up some people's perceptions on what some beers should be like. They hurting the craft brew scene if anything.

agreed. I have yet to have anything from them I would buy again.

Ó Flannagáin said:
They hurting the craft brew scene if anything.

I don't think that comment can be any further for the truth. SA has done quite a bit to get our hobby noticed and for the craft scene in general. Yes, they're a big company and need to utilize certain practives for productions sake, but that's business. In general, I'm pretty impressed with the way they run their operation.

Oh, and try their black lager. I think it's their best beer.

Ó Flannagáin said:
IMO I've never had a Sam Adam's I liked. I think they are deceiving people into thinking certain styles taste a certain way. It really screws up some people's perceptions on what some beers should be like. They hurting the craft brew scene if anything.

srsly? I really think without the influence of SA, you wouldn't see much of the interest in homebrewing and craft beer that you do now. Between their marketing, the longshot comp & being a "gateway" beer for many craft/micro enthusiasts, I see some benefit for the rest. From their beers I don't go out of my way for any but boston lager, stock ale, black lager & mackeson xxx are decent..the last two, their best IMHO.

If someone is going to define a style by a single example, that's more a limitation on their part than the brewer or marketing...

Someone handed me a Shiner Hefe last night. That is a dumper. Didn't even slightly taste like a german hefe.

Hold on, Mackson XXX is Sam Adams? I did not know that and I do like that beer.

My point is, I know a lot of folks who drink Sam Adams to try and appear a more learned beer drinker than the other folks at the bar, but they won't step away from Sam Adam's and try other craft brews. That's why I say they are hurting the scene. I've seen this many times, family members and friends. When I talk about brewing, they bring up Sam Adam's, it's like that's the only beer they are willing to try outside of BMC and it's really not much better. It's kinda like yuengling.

Beerthoven said:
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.

SWMBO and both tried it and sent 5.5 of them down the drain.

I like vanilla, and I like porter. I, however, could not drink this stuff.

Back