last hydrometer I'll ever buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with plastic hydrometers? I found these:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_index.asp?cls=2414

They're not toys. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but neither are the cheapo hydros that I keep buying at $12 a pop. Heck I've already spent close to $50 on now broken hydrometers.... why not spend the next $50 on a hydro that'll never break?

Only review on there for it

Cons:
Inaccurate
Describe Yourself:
Lab Assistant
Bottom Line:
No, I would not recommend this to a friend

After using for a couple weeks the hydrometer plastic housing leaked to the inside of the unit. It was handled as if it was glass.

refractometers are at least as fragile as glass hydrometers but probably more. I break hydros a lot... i don't want to break a $50 refractometer. I had a glass hydro break from simply giving it the old thermometer whip like mom used to do. I was holding onto the weighted end, but the top just popped off and flew across the room. I understand that one guy had a bad plastic hydro, but I'm sure he could have gotten it replaced if he wanted to. Is it innaccurate? sure. To get a calibrated hydro costs around $250. I just want a hydro that doesn't go to peices the moment I breathe on it wrong. Is that so much to ask? Why aren't there any pryex hydros? or just hydros that are made out of glass that is more than 1 micron thick????

shafferpilot said:
refractometers are at least as fragile as glass hydrometers but probably more. I break hydros a lot... i don't want to break a $50 refractometer. I had a glass hydro break from simply giving it the old thermometer whip like mom used to do. I was holding onto the weighted end, but the top just popped off and flew across the room. I understand that one guy had a bad plastic hydro, but I'm sure he could have gotten it replaced if he wanted to. Is it innaccurate? sure. To get a calibrated hydro costs around $250. I just want a hydro that doesn't go to peices the moment I breathe on it wrong. Is that so much to ask? Why aren't there any pryex hydros? or just hydros that are made out of glass that is more than 1 micron thick????

My refractometer has been knocked off the table on atleast 3 occasions. No breakage yet. Heck, the flap didn't even come off and that the cheapest part of the refrectometer. One instance with that sort of abuse and a hydro would shatter. I am just saying......

Hmmm. Maybe I'm just underestimating the strength of the refractometers. Any similar stories of undamaged, dropped refractometers??

Back