Large Electrical Enclosure on ebay today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice fine.

Careful of the 6" depth. While it's enough for most things you'd connect to the front, you have to then be careful where you put things on the back (inside) as they'll hit.

EDIT: Looking at other enclosures on ebay right now, you can get a 20x20x8 for $99 ($40 more than tis 17x14x6" you found) that is also weather sealed and comes with free shipping. Not sure how much less than $60 you paid or how much shipping is, but it may work out the same. Yours doesn't seem to come with a backplane either so I'm not really sure how you'd attach things to the inside other than puncturing the enclosure through the back.

Kal

Nice fine.

Careful of the 6" depth. While it's enough for most things you'd connect to the front, you have to then be careful where you put things on the back (inside) as they'll hit.

EDIT: Looking at other enclosures on ebay right now, you can get a 20x20x8 for $99 ($40 more than tis 17x14x6" you found) that is also weather sealed and comes with free shipping. Not sure how much less than $60 you paid or how much shipping is, but it may work out the same. Yours doesn't seem to come with a backplane either so I'm not really sure how you'd attach things to the inside other than puncturing the enclosure through the back.

Kal

Do you happen to have a link...I can't find one like that ($20x20x8 $99 free shipping) on ebay. Thanks.

Nice fine.

Kal

I believe it has mounting standoffs for a back plate. I will just fab one out of some painted steel sheet. As far as the 6" depth, I plan to lay it all out to keep back plate items out of the PID and Timer zones. Thanks for the heads up though. For a seal, I just plan on using some closed cell weatherstripping and not have seems on the top and bottom horizontal pieces... Thats the best I could do with the budget I had. Plus, it is already painted black! However, I may cover up the "logo" that is on it with a custom brewery plate. I am still tossing around a name for my brewery... hmmmm....

I purchased my enclosure from these guys and it was great. Perfect size for a lot of gadgets, wires and mess. I believe mine was the 20x20x8 variety. Contact them as they have anything you could ever want.

This size would be overkill for most people, however I am also including some automation hardware and about 12 extra outlets for pump automation. I am also going overkill with a complete set of circuit breakers and then fuses for the majority of the components for protection. Finally, I have a pretty large (6x6x6) 24v AC-DC converter which takes up a large section of the box.

I think most projects can get away with a smaller size, not to mention the headache of finding a good mounting bracket for these larger sized boxes which already weigh a good 20-30lbs without internals. Just food for thought.

Back