• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Oregon Large (5lb +) quantity of free experimental hops - free to a good home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aprichman

Reaction score
Hello fellow HBT'ers,

The OSU Food Science Pilot Plant was cleaning out it's freezer last week and gave away a bunch of hops they don't plan to use. I grabbed a LARGE bag of hops that probably weighs 5-7 lbs. These are experimental hops from 2014 that had these descriptions written on the side of the box they were in: Citrus, floral, pine, tropical. Outside of that I don't have any info about the hops!

I was hoping to find someone who has a large system (1bbl +) who could use this to brew a single hop pale ale or IPA and would kick me a case or two of beer in exchange for all the hops.

I'm located in Corvallis but also "hop" up to Portland every couple of months.

:mug:

All hops are spoken for, I would have loved to share them with everyone but I only had enough to send out to a limited amount of people. If I have any more experimental hops to give away in the future I'll give people who posted here and didn't receive any "dibs" on the next batch.

Cheers!

if you would split it up i would do a pound or more and ship it i would of course pay shipping and then when i brew with it i will send some bottles your way.

If no one from Oregon wants it I might consider splitting it up and sending out 1lb bags at shipping cost. I don't want to ship the whole bag because it's really huge - it looks like it's an actual cut from the bale measuring ~24" x 18" x 8" wrapped inside a vacuum packed mylar bag.

Getting a pound of hops for shipping costs might make me start brewing again, earlier than I expected.

:D

I'd love some hops for cost, or meetup next time youre anywhere near Portland (im in Tualatin). Could invite you over for a homebrew or what not too.

Let me know if you break them up would be down for a lb to 17013

Dave Wills over at Oregon Trail will do you up a batch. Give him a call, right in town!

I'm in Portland and would be more than hoppy to do some experimental batches. Let me know if / when you are in town.

not to be rude but give it some time. op said he wanted to hold out for a little bit for someone local before he shipped. the op is being very generous by offering this for free

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delayed reply - I got the flu the day after I posted this and just when I started feeling better SWMBO started feeling ill. Needless to say it's been a fun week at my house :p

I haven't had any luck finding someone who wanted to brew a huge batch and use all the hops in one go, so I'll be sending them out. Tonight I'm going to try to grab some plastic freezer bags and weigh everything out so I know how much I have to send out. After that I'm going to see if I can fit a pound into a small flat rate box or large flat rate envelope. This would mean lbs should be ~$6 shipped.

If these are too small I'll need to go up to a medium flat rate box which will be $12.65 to ship. A medium flat rate box is considerably larger so if I go this route I should be able to fit 1.5 - 2 lbs per box.

Hopefully I'll be able to get everything sorted out soon so I can get packages sent out later next week.

Got everything weighed out. I was able to fit 12oz of hops (whole cone) in a gallon bag. I'm 90% sure I can fit a gallon bag in a large flat rate USPS envelope which is $6.10 to ship.

The hops had a very unusual smell (in a good way IMO). I describe them as having a very strong pear aroma with prominent notes of lemon, honey, floral, and tropical. The aroma of the hops reminded me a lot of Pelican's Umbrella IPA which was a single hopped with Ella.

I'll send out some PMs in the morning to people who expressed interest

Looks like i missed out but if not i would love some!

I am willing to do a single hop 1 bbl batch for ya. Won't be able to ship u a case since I'm in NC, though. Maybe send ya a few bottles er something.

I offered to take the lot

You said you would TAKE them. Your profile doesn't list your location and you didn't say anything about how you would pick up the hops, or get some of the beer back to him. I would have ignored you too, because you didn't seem to understand the original offer.

Looking forward to hearing how the beers turns out. Hope some of you will report back here.

Smart ass Pmed him my info offered to pay shipping and said I would send him beer

Apparently, he decided to go a different way. You'll just have to accept that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back