Lallemand sour pitch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasultana

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'll be brewing my first (kettle) sour soon, a gose.
Now the recommended procedure (https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/docs/products/bp/BEST-PRACTICES_KETTLESOUR_DIGITAL.pdf) is to boil the wort for 2-5 minutes, cool, pitch the lacto, and then boil (longer?) after 24-48hs (48 for "greater sensory complexity").
In order to preserve that "sensory complexity", I am considering to boil for 30 minutes with the coriander and salt, cool, pitch the lacto, bring the beer/wort up to 180F for 15 minutes (would 150F for 15 min also suffice?) and whirlpool with some nice hops, cool and ferment with WY1318 (is this yeast OK with low pH?).
Is there any reason why I should boil after the lacto fermentation? Are there any undesired compounds that I want to boil off after the lacto ferm?

(Xpost)

The reason to boil after souring is to kill off the bacteria and anything else that may have found it's way into your wort. You would have to find a time vs temperature pasteurization chart to determine how long you need to hold your wort at 150F.

Great, thanks. I am well aware that we want to kill the lactos, I was just wondering whether there are any volatile compounds we might want to drive out of the beer.

In order to preserve that "sensory complexity"
Kettle souring removes the large majority of the delicious flavor from the bacteria and also greatly inhibits flavor expression from the yeast.

Modern souring methods allow full for expression and as a bonus they are also easier and less risky.
See here:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer
Great, thanks. I am well aware that we want to kill the lactos, I was just wondering whether there are any volatile compounds we might want to drive out of the beer.
Killing L. plantarum (the species in Sour Pitch) is not needed, and there are no unwanted volatile flavors that need to be removed.

Cheers!

Very interesting. So I don't risk contaminating my cold side equipment with l plantarum? Given I clean and sanitize as I would with yeast (chemipro oxi and star San)?
One thing I don't like with this method though is that I cannot use any whirlpool hops. I was initially wanting to add whirlpool hops when heating up the lacto fermented wort, so the yeast can do some nice biotransformation. Seems impossible if I copitch since the wp hops will kill/inhibit the lacto. Do you have any ideas on how to do that?

So I don't risk contaminating my cold side equipment with l plantarum?
Nope. L. plantarum is removed by standard cleaning methods and it's extremely hop-sensitive, so it cannot grow in hopped beers.

Do you have any ideas on how to do that?
Dry hop or add hop tea after it sours. Use a starter for the Lacto to ensure it sours quickly.

Cool that I don't have to worry about the contamination.
Yeah, whirlpool hops is not equivalent with dry hop or a tea though. I guess there's no possibility. Thanks though!

Back