American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it pretty much is an ipa. I think it falls in the very upper end for pale ale, or the low end for ipa

Hey Dude,

I just wanted to say thanks for your incredible inspiration on what my co-workers called (until now) the "vanilla" APA.

I toyed a bit and entered my take on this recipe into the 2012 Cascade Brewers Cup in the Everett/Seattle area and got a legitimate placement in american ales, losing to a brown ale (argh, but I know it has to be AMAZING). BJCP reviews came in with great scores. Comments noted a malt backbone which was well balanced, standing up to the hops. I know toasting the malt played a really strong role in the additional flavor; I appreciate that spin on this style.

For my setup, Beersmith spat out an OG of 1.056, IBU of 46.1, finished at 1.011, so I agree that this could be a borderline IPA.

Couldn't have done this on my own, and thanks again Dude.

-B

OK, I've got this in my queue. Just a question though - why the 90 minute boil? This seems like a normal APA and I don't see a reason - but I do want to know what it is!

Thanks.

Brewed this a couple weeks ago (first time in a while) with competitions in mind. Hit my expected OG of 1.056 right on the mark, as well as my FG of 1.012. Couldn't be happier. Sample tastes outstanding.

This go around I dry hopped with 1 oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo for 6 days, removed the hops, and today I threw in a fresh 1 oz. of each that will stay another 6 days before crashing/kegging. I feel bad using 4 oz of hard to come by hops for dry hopping, but the aroma I'm going to get on this thing will be insane.

OK, I've got this in my queue. Just a question though - why the 90 minute boil? This seems like a normal APA and I don't see a reason - but I do want to know what it is!

Thanks.

ha, I just noticed Dude's recipe says 90 minutes... I've always done 60 and it comes out great.

Not that this thread needs another congratulatory post on the recipe but just wanted to say this too has become my house pale ale recipe. Love the malt bill: just enough malt for me without being overly so. I hop it up to more a low level IPA/high level pale ale hops and have experimented with all the newer hops coming down the pipeline with this as the base. Every now and then I go back to amarillo and simcoe (tough to beat). Excellent recipe!

Anybody do a partial boil extract version of this? I don't have a pot big enough for a full boil. Wondering how the hop additions should be for a partial.

Anybody do a partial boil extract version of this? I don't have a pot big enough for a full boil. Wondering how the hop additions should be for a partial.

I'd say do a little research on what the difference in hop utilization is in general with an extract/partial boil vs. all grain/full boil. From there, you can apply your findings to not just this recipe, but basically any recipe.

Kinda like how once you learn to convert an all grain grain bill to extract, you can apply it to any recipe.

So I am going to give this recipe a shot this weekend. I plan on brewing a 10gal. extract batch. Playing around in BeerSmith 2, here is what I come up with:

Lake Walk APA (Extract) 11 gal.
American Pale Ale
Type: Extract
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 38.3 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 9.6 SRM

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
16 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min

2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

This is my first time using BS2 to calculate an extract recipe. Am I on the right track?

I came up with something for a partial boil extract version (5 gallon) using BeerSmith. It was my first time using BeerSmith for anything before. I'll post my version when I get back to my home computer tomorrow so that we can compare.

Craig

First time ever using BeerSmith. This is what I came up with for a partial boil extract version. The fermentables and steeping grains are based on Dude's previous extract version, with the hopping based on this current AG version. BTW... this is going to be my first time getting away from "kit" recipes, so please tell me if anything looks really screwed up!

Extract Partial Boil (5Gal batch, 2.5Gal 60 min Boil)

6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50%] (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (20 min) Hops
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (5 min)
1.50 oz Amarillo [8.50%] (5 min) Hops
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min) Hops

1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50%] (Dry Hop 10 days)
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 10 days)

Safale US-05 Yeast (1 pkg)

I bottled my first attempt on this recipe this morning. Can't wait for 3 weeks to pass so I can crack them open.

I was really looking forward to brewing this, but I'll have to table it, as Simcoe hops are crazy expensive.

Can anyone give me a step by step process to toast the 2-row? I haven't done this yet and am interested.

Can anyone give me a step by step process to toast the 2-row? I haven't done this yet and am interested.

I put mine (2 pounds) on a baking sheet in a preheated 275F oven. After 15 minutes, I stirred. Then, back in the oven for another 15 minutes. My grains were even already crushed and mixed together. Turned out great!

shelly_belly said:
I put mine (2 pounds) on a baking sheet in a preheated 275F oven. After 15 minutes, I stirred. Then, back in the oven for another 15 minutes. My grains were even already crushed and mixed together. Turned out great!

Awesome thanks I'm going to give it try soon!!!

Brewing this afternoon and have WLP001 on the stirplate rocking away. Can't wait, never had an Amarillo/Simcoe dominant beer before (that I know of).

Just kegged third batch and it tastes fantastic. Going to serve it to masses at a brew fest on June 30th. Can't wait.

Made an extract version of this. Just tasted a sample out of the primary. Fermentation is done. Best tasting pre-bottling brew I have made. Time for the dry hop. Can't wait to taste the finished product.

Brewing this afternoon and have WLP001 on the stirplate rocking away. Can't wait, never had an Amarillo/Simcoe dominant beer before (that I know of).

I ended up at 1.060 or just a hair under!
I only boiled for 75-80 min due to my boil kettle only being 8 gallons and I didn't want to fill it up all the way, so I probably didn't collect enough sparge water.

I ended up adding 2 bottled waters to the fermenter and pitching my starter, it's going nuts now!

The beer is way more brown looking than I'm used to with a pale ale, I'm assuming this will clear up as it ferments and beers are always darker looking in a glass carboy.

chalmer9 said:
I ended up at 1.060 or just a hair under!
I only boiled for 75-80 min due to my boil kettle only being 8 gallons ...

I think the recipe only calls for a 60 minute boil. That could be why you ended up a little high.

I have 10 gallons of lakewalk fermenting right now. I did 5g of Wyeast 1056 and 5g of 1098, interested to see the difference.

Just brewed my first 5.5 gal batch of this today. Best tasting post boil hydro sample yet. I used 2 lbs victory instead of toasting my own as the grains are all crushed together at the LHBS. Now I have to find a way to make room in the fridge for the cold crash after the dry hop, but I have a few weeks before I need to worry about it. Anyone here ever toss the extra Simcoe and Amarillo that weren't used in the boil into the dry hop?

image-2440910700.jpg

First of the 10g batch I did. This one is the 1056 yeast. Next is the 1098, coming soon.

Yep.

I still don't the think the gravity is enough to call it an IPA though. The bitterness, yes, it fits.

Make this Beer! One of my favorite recipes to brew. I call it a Moroccan Pale Ale. Half way between America and India! :D

Just doughed in. My first AG! Doing BIAB. Mash temp is a few degrees higher than I wanted, but I'm going to crack a Homebrew and not worry about it :)

image-1777573056.jpg

Finished brewing up my first batch and I am quite impressed with the aroma and taste at this point! Here's what it looked like before pitching:
mvpvkp.jpg

Questions for those who have made this often: how long do you dry hop this? How long do you leave it on primary? BS has me putting this on secondary Thursday (4 days)...

Thanks!

I usually leave it in primary 2 or 3 weeks and then dry hop for a week.

Just kegged this. Smelled amazingly good. Like lychee and grapefruit. I had a glass of it and it tastes like grapefruit juice! Needs a lot of clarifying! Perhaps the cloudiest beer I have ever made at this stage of the game. I may fine it with gelatin in the keg if it doesn't get better after crashing it in the keg.

Just kegged this. Smelled amazingly good. Like lychee and grapefruit. I had a glass of it and it tastes like grapefruit juice! Needs a lot of clarifying! Perhaps the cloudiest beer I have ever made at this stage of the game. I may fine it with gelatin in the keg if it doesn't get better after crashing it in the keg.

Mine has been kegged for 5 days, and this post echoes my sentiments almost exactly. It's DELICIOUS though, can't wait for another week...hopefully it clears up a little.

I missed the mash temp (too high) and needed to add some DME, but the hydrometer sample tasted good at bottling. Should be ready for a first taste next weekend.

Glad you liked the pre-brew photo :)

Dan.

Back