American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe... which hop schedule did you use, strohs? I think we've had 4 versions by now. ;)

How much more Amarillo did you add at 60"?

My initial guess is that you'll be 100% A-Okay... Amarillo is a very "soft" hop (bitterness-wise) so it's not going to turn it into a tongue-raper. Maybe just a tongue-tingler. It'll probably need an extra week or two to mellow, and it'll probably have a fairly prominent IPA-like bitterness, but it should still be great. I love Amarillo for that reason.

----

My LWPA is on deck for one of the next two weekends. Just have to finish up dealing w/ a contest beer, now that my 10der & Mild is shipped out, and my 999 Barleywine is done fermenting.

When I adjusted for the alpha acids of the hops I had, I had the 1st simcoe addition at 2 minutes instead of 20!
So I added more Amarillo at 60 (and simcoe at 20, but I backed that off now) to compensate.
When I caught the error and fixed the recipe, the IBU's went sky high.

When I adjusted for the alpha acids of the hops I had, I had the 1st simcoe addition at 2 minutes instead of 20!
So I added more Amarillo at 60 (and simcoe at 20, but I backed that off now) to compensate.
When I caught the error and fixed the recipe, the IBU's went sky high.

This beer usually reads higher ibu in Promash than is perceived. You probably added about 4-5 IBU, but like Chriso said, it's a gentle bitterness. The original recipe had a few points worth of Centennial which is no longer there anyway. I would just go for it as written the rest of the way. Some consider this a "session IPA" anyway. :)

This beer usually reads higher ibu in Promash than is perceived. You probably added about 4-5 IBU, but like Chriso said, it's a gentle bitterness. The original recipe had a few points worth of Centennial which is no longer there anyway. I would just go for it as written the rest of the way. Some consider this a "session IPA" anyway. :)

The wort tasted fantastic.
Definitly hoppy, but not bitter.
I cant wait to tap this one!

All right. I'm finally gonna do it. My schedule opened up and I freakin' NEED to brew this weekend. 10 gallons of LWPA is what I'm thinkin'.

The only problem is I only have 2.0 oz of Simcoe.

.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

I'd have to sub in a LOT of Amarillo to make up the difference. Maybe I should just do 5 gals.

Otherwise, what about this, for 10 gals, for a hopping schedule:
0:60 - 1.5 oz Amarillo
0:20 - .75 oz Simcoe + .75 oz Amarillo
0:05 - 1.25 oz Simcoe + 2.75 oz Amarillo
Dry Hop - 2 oz Amarillo

It's not nearly the same... but it's what I've got. I have tons of Amarillo, so there's no shortage there. I have a ton of Cascade and Centennial too, but that doesn't sound as delicious.

All right. I'm finally gonna do it. My schedule opened up and I freakin' NEED to brew this weekend. 10 gallons of LWPA is what I'm thinkin'.

I'd have to sub in a LOT of Amarillo to make up the difference. Maybe I should just do 5 gals.

Dry Hop - 2 oz Amarillo

It's not nearly the same... but it's what I've got. I have tons of Amarillo, so there's no shortage there. I have a ton of Cascade and Centennial too, but that doesn't sound as delicious.

Why don't you just go ahead and make the beer and order the dry hop simcoe. I can send you some if you can't get it.

Good idea - I hadn't noticed that Midwest had them in stock again... When I looked last month, I could've sworn that nobody had Simcoe available. (I got the 2oz I have through a trade, Thought it was 4oz for 4oz, but only received 2oz. Bummer, but not a biggie.) Anywho... I'd still need 3.5 oz for the 10 gal batch, excluding the dry hop..... So maybe I should stick to the 5 gal batch.

Grain-wise, I'll be doing it as listed, but without the flaked wheat. 153˚F is still our preferred temp for this recipe, right?

I can always just do back-to-back beers on Sunday. Make the other a SMaSH, or maybe make a Centennial/Amarillo IPA to keep the Lake Walk company.... :D

Good idea - I hadn't noticed that Midwest had them in stock again... When I looked last month, I could've sworn that nobody had Simcoe available. (I got the 2oz I have through a trade, Thought it was 4oz for 4oz, but only received 2oz. Bummer, but not a biggie.) Anywho... I'd still need 3.5 oz for the 10 gal batch, excluding the dry hop..... So maybe I should stick to the 5 gal batch.

Grain-wise, I'll be doing it as listed, but without the flaked wheat. 153˚F is still our preferred temp for this recipe, right?

I can always just do back-to-back beers on Sunday. Make the other a SMaSH, or maybe make a Centennial/Amarillo IPA to keep the Lake Walk company.... :D

I use 153F. I just kegged and carbed one. should be great in a week or two.

So.... I jumped on the band wagon and brewed this (sort of) on the 6th of Nov. I just transferred to secondary where it will sit for at least 3 weeks. I didn't have Simcoe at the time so I used Horizon (one of my favorites) in its place. As it sits I could drink this brew all damn day thank GOD I am going to be gone for a few weeks or I would keg and DOWN this beer. I am going to dry hop 6 gallons w/ Simcoe and Amarillo the other 6 gallons w/ something else (not sure what yet) maybe Cent. And Cascade?
I am looking forward to brewing this again using the right hop schedule.
Cheers
JJ

Dry Hop - 2 oz Amarillo

You prolly already brewed this, but what I would do is cut that last addition and the dry-hop down to a half ounce each.

You prolly already brewed this, but what I would do is cut that last addition and the dry-hop down to a half ounce each.

Nope, have not yet! This weekend! No excuses from me! GOTTA get this one done!

Thanks for the advice, I'll do just that - but maybe I'll only cut the dry hop from 1.0 to 0.75 so I can use up the pesky last 0.25oz in the bag.

Cheers Dude!

Dude,

Thanks for the recipe. It's on my to-do list for Thanksgiving weekend. Quick question, what does the toasted 2-row impart as far as flavor? Is it really noticeable? I did a 60/~ a few years ago where I toasted my own and it had a very pronounced bread(y) flavor - too much for my taste.

Also, I've had a hard time tracking down some simcoe - finally found them at Midwest Supplies (11.9%). I'm planning on ordering them first thing tomorrow.

Dude,

Thanks for the recipe. It's on my to-do list for Thanksgiving weekend. Quick question, what does the toasted 2-row impart as far as flavor? Is it really noticeable? I did a 60/~ a few years ago where I toasted my own and it had a very pronounced bread(y) flavor - too much for my taste.

Also, I've had a hard time tracking down some simcoe - finally found them at Midwest Supplies (11.9%). I'm planning on ordering them first thing tomorrow.

I'd say it adds a toasted, bready, maybe even slight nutty aspect, but by no means is it overpowering. It is very different than putting say a .25 lb of biscuit malt in the recipe. I think the toasting helps bring out some malt--but that said, I've brewed LWPA without toasted malt and it turned out pretty good too. It isn't crucial.

Just an update on a variation I tried. I decided to use Maris Otter and WY1272 for a batch. I have to say that it came out great. my wife says it's the best LW I have made. Some batches of LW have overattenuated on me using US05, but this batch has a great mouthfeel and has good malt balance with the intense hop aroma. As much as I love US05, I think I ma going to save it for high gravity beers from now on.

Dry Hop - 2 oz Amarillo

I actually have made my own version of this..and use Summit at 60 min and 20 min...rest is the same...it turns out freaking great..so if you are short on simcoe or amarillo..don't alter the dry hop just alter the bittering hop..I love summit so it works for me.

Jay

You can't go wrong with this brew. My first AG. I'd make it again, but I have a buttload of cascade and chinook hops left, so I'm going with Edwort's recipe. This will be on my brew again list for next year, maybe as a first anniversary of AG beer.

Mashing 11 gallons of this right now... Hadn't brewed it since the 4th of July because I couldn't find reasonable priced Simcoes!! Now that I have them I can't wait to taste this one again!

So I jumped on the band wagon here and brewed up this beer. I had to make a few changes because I didn't have Simcoe hops at the time. Here is the hop schedule I used and I must say this is probably the best Pale Ale I have ever had with out a doubt, and I had it warm and flat.

This is for a 12 gallon batch
1.5 oz whole Amarillo 9.3 AAU 60 min
1.75 oz whole Horizon 11.6 AAU 20 min
1.25 oz whole Horizon 11.6 AAU 5 min
2 oz whole Amarillo 9.3 AAU 5 min
2 oz whole Centennial 9.0 AAU 5 min

I am dry hopping 6 gallons right now w/ 1/2 oz Cent and 1/2 oz Amarillo

I can't wait until this brew is done and carbed

I brewed this up a couple of weeks ago, and changed up the hops just for giggles. I just swapped the first 2 additions, which means I bittered with Simcoe and flavored with Amarillo. Seems a bit more harsh but not much difference.

I'll prolly keep it the original way from here on out.

It is dry-hopping right now...man I can't wait for the Super Bowl--when I'm tapping that keg.

I brewed this up a couple of weeks ago, and changed up the hops just for giggles. I just swapped the first 2 additions, which means I bittered with Simcoe and flavored with Amarillo. Seems a bit more harsh but not much difference.

I'll prolly keep it the original way from here on out.

It is dry-hopping right now...man I can't wait for the Super Bowl--when I'm tapping that keg.

The Lakewalk still gets the raves at our house. It's definitely the house brew. The hopping schedule is perfect. i played with the malt and yeast a bit, and like the Maris Otter change. I'm getting away from US 05 a bit now because I find I was getting inconsistent attenuation and some dry beers. I get a richer, rounder beer with 1272 or 1056. Awesome recipe Dude. Thanks for the update on the hop switch. The only thing I am tempted to try is using a french press tea instead of dry hopping. Just for "giggles".

KD

Yep, I'll have to brew this again. My first AG was LWPA and I need to revisit it again. I probably said this already, but I drank 22oz of the Abyss tonight and I'm starting to feel it.

OK I'll Jump on the bandwagon, I usually do my own recipes and not other peoples. But this recipe sounded so good I have to try it.
I get my Hop order this Monday and I'll brew it up New Years Eve.

Well last night I attempted to brew this one again. Last time I tried brewing Lake Walk Pale Ale I was very new to all grain, and it didn't come out good. I over sparged or didn't have the PH right or something. I almost re named it Grain Husk Ale, lol.

I didn't order enough Simcoe Hops. I'm short an ounce so I had to cut back on them. So each addition is now a little less then the recipe calls for. I tasted the wort at yeast pitching time and it was wonderful. It even smelled good. I actually took a half glass of wort and drank it.

Its been 11 days in the fermenter and I tasted it. It is beyond belief delicious.. Dose this beer actually need dry hopping? It has aroma and taste now even when its young and green.

Its now six days later and I'm putting the beer into the secondary and dry hopping. I tasted it again as well as my wine drinking mother and BMC brother. They loved it now and so do I. Its fruity with a little sweet going on. Lets see in another ten days dry hopping how it will taste.

Last time I brewed up a 10 gallon batch and kegged them for a party..gone that night....big hit..I was happy it was a big hit but was sad I couldn't even enjoy a few the next day. This week I plan to brew up 10 gallons for myself...:D

ok I will share it..I toasted my own malt this time..went 275 for 60min spraying it every 15 minutes and mixing.

I make a slight alteration to this recipe and use Summit at 60 and 20 min...I would imagine it is very close to the original.If you have not made this recipe yet..make it now..It is great..I usually try to make it every few months to keep it on tap..

J

Its been 11 days in the fermenter and I tasted it. It is beyond belief delicious.. Dose this beer actually need dry hopping? It has aroma and taste now even when its young and green.

I personally don't think this beer needs anything. I did an experiment and dry hopped 6 of my 12 gallon batch and I think the 6 that wasn't dry hopped was 10X better. JMHO
JJ

I'm starting to agree on the fact it doesn't need dry-hopping, but I'm dryhopping with pellets lately so it doesn't have the same effect IMHO.

I did some quality control tasting before I tapped this baby for the Super Bowl today...damn it is good. Need to bottle some up for Brewtopia so I can bring him a taste. Maybe it will sway him into letting me brew it large scale at Naked City sometime. ;)

I'm starting to agree on the fact it doesn't need dry-hopping, but I'm dryhopping with pellets lately so it doesn't have the same effect IMHO.

I did some quality control tasting before I tapped this baby for the Super Bowl today...damn it is good. Need to bottle some up for Brewtopia so I can bring him a taste. Maybe it will sway him into letting me brew it large scale at Naked City sometime. ;)

I'm definitely not there yet Dude. I have whole Simcoe this year and it is superb. For whatever it's worth, I am only doing 5-6 days dry hop now after a couple of grassy events with lighter ales. I think after the first pint, the dry hop addition is minimized, but in a competitive tasting environment, it is definitely an extra arrow in the quiver.

I bought the specialty grains yesterday to make another batch of this. Probably toast some grain today and brew next weekend.

I dry hopped last time, it was good, but I think it might push it up a notch to more of an IPA with that aroma. I am going to try it without the dry hop this time.

I could see where some would not dry hop. I just think the aroma is what makes this beer so amazing..So removing it is a hard call. I plan on going with .5 oz of both instead of a full oz to see what we get. My effeciency was a bit higher than usual for a 10 gallon batch and hit 1.06 OG but it went down to 1.012..

J

This will be my first 10G batch coming up once I upgrade my equipment in honor of my one year AG anniversary. Probably the only recipe I've followed verbatim from an HBT member, and worth every drop.

I have been looking for a pale ale with a great citrus flavor, I am so glad that I came across this recipe.

In an attempt to focus on about 5 beers, and get them tweak to my version of perfection, while using the same grains in as many beers as I can i wanted to know what you thought about changing the grain bill to this:

9# 2 row
1# Caramel 40

This will drop the ABV a bit but I am fine with that.
Everything else will stay the same, except I will not dry hop.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Back