Lagunitas IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
Random thread..

One of my favorite IPAs is Lagunitas IPA- Ive been enjoying it for years.
I was just reading the description and it states "California- American India Pale Ale (IPA)- 6.2% ABV. This is Lagunitas' unique version of an ancient style. It is made with 43 different hops and 65 various malts"

How in the world did they brew an IPA with that many hops and malts. I'm curious if others who enjoy this beer were aware of this.

I want to see the list of ingredients!

I wonder if they used 1 pellet from 43 different hops and a pinch from 65 different grains I guess you cant say they're lying . Heck I dont think I can name 65 different malts

1 pellet from 43 different hops and a pinch from 65 different grains

Ha! that's what I was thinking. I doubted it too then they say it right there on their brewery website. Still doesn't mean its true but..

I agree I couldn't name 65 malts either

Reading the section with the 43 different hops and 65 different grains I think they may be making fun of another brewery or breweries. Especially when the Spec section say "A bit of caramel malt barley provides the richness that mellows out the twang of the hops". It also says Unlimited release at the top which could be a poke at Russian river.

They are clearly taking the piss (British expression). Their brewer revealed the recipe on the "Can You Brew It" podcast back in 2009.

Sadly, most people seem to be taking them literally. Like I said, I did a quick Google search and found multiple beer related sites using the "43 hops and 65 grains" as a selling point/reason the beer is so good.

It makes total sense if you are familiar with story behind their "Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale."

Read their beer labels. Half the **** they put on there seems like missing pages from kerouacs diary. Random, nonsensical, just straight up odd. I love them. Always happy to drink it. But just ****ing odd.

I listen to the CYBI episode and even though I believe you don't need to smell a beer from an arms length 1.5oz of dry hops seems a bit light. Definitely an easy on the wallet beer to make.

I seem to be about 10 IBU short when I punch the head brewers and Jamils hops amount into beersmith. I did not give any IBUs to the flameout addition but I don't think that should account for all of the missing IBUs.

Remember that a pro brewery's flameout addition spends a lot more time in the wort than it does in a quick-chill homebrew setting, easily producing significant bittering. I haven't refreshed my memory on this episode, but Jamil isn't always the most rigorous with these CYBI attempts in some cases.

Back