Lagunitas Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I recently filled twelve bottles from a keg; for the first time that I've done this, the bottles turned out a little flat.

My theory is that the beer was flat(ish) in the keg. It was the tail end of the keg, and it had been on nothing but, maybe, 6psi for weeks.

But I'm also concerned because this was the first time I've re-used Lagunitas bottles, and their crowns are a little funky looking. Does anybody have experience recapping Lagunitas bottles using a standard Emily Capper (the regular red wing one)?

Thanks team,

-Jack

I've capped them with a wing capper with no problems. 6 psi will surely leave you with a flat beer. When I bottle off of the kegger I try to remember to up the psi a few pounds a couple of days before. That way you can compensate for the head space.

Probably 50% of my bottles are from Lagunitas (eight or nine cases, I forget). I love their beer and the short bottles fit in the top shelf of my dishwasher. I've never had a problem with them.

Lagunitas bottles are the only ones I've found that I can't cap consistently. They are hard to cap and you can spin the cap once it's on. I'm talking about the short stubby 12 oz bottles that the lagunitas IPA comes in. I won't even try to bottle in them anymore, they go right in the recycling bin. Maybe the capper makes all the difference. I use the red one with the plastic handles and the magnet.

If you have a wing capper, lagunitas bottles won't work. Check out the top of the bottle and compare it to a standard longneck, you'll see that there are two little "lips" that come out on each. The second lip is further down on most bottles, and this is what your wing capper grabs on to when you push the handles down. The lip on the lagunitas bottles is too far up, so the cap will not get pushed down all the way.

ever notice how consistently different lagunitas ipa tastes in the small vs large bottles?
way off topic, but totally true

I'm using a wing capper (red plastic one with a magnet) and never have a problem.

I've never seen Lagunitas in long necks before.

Old thread but I bottled half my batch yesterday using Lagunitas shorty bottles. The caps went on super easy which makes me nervous. I just checked and they are tight so I hope these hold.

They should hold but I will say that since I posted this I have had trouble with short bottles breaking using a wing capper. They don't always break but they do often enough that I have stopped using them.

Back