Lagering with a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broomzy

Reaction score
What are your techniques for Lagering with a keg? Currently I have a pilsner that went primary for 2 weeks at 52 and then secondary for a week at 46. I want to brew another batch, but only have one fermentation fridge. I have a one tap kegerator with a temp set down to 34 that i could use to lager my pilsner. Is this a good idea? Do I purge to Oxygen and lager in the keg with co2 in the top?

yep, it's pretty much as you described it. definitely purge it, i actually normally just hook the keg up to gas and let it carbonate slowly as it's lagering.

Thanks for the reply. I only have one gas line so what I was thinking was purge and sit while I drink what's on tap. Given that I probably want to lager for 2 months, I'll probably tap what I haven't even brewed yet (brown ale).

I'm going to throw my bock into a keg next weekend and do the same thing. Unfortunately, it will tie up my only fermentation chamber, no room in the keezer, for a long time. Luckily, I also have a Scottish 80 that could benefit from a month or two of cold conditioning. So, I'll throw that in there at the same time and kill two birds.

I'm going to try this process this weekend if my Bock is done fermenting. Frees up my ferm chamber for something else!

Back