Lagering/kegging dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
So, I have one dedicated homebrew fridge, yet I need it for conflicting purposes. I have 4 batches in 4 separate cornies right now, waiting to be carbonated for a wedding on 10/1 (I know, poor planning). However, I am currently fermenting a lager, so my fridge is committed for the time being.

I was hoping to burst carb the kegs starting on Monday (9/26) to get them ready for the weekend. At that point the lager will have fermented for 8 days. Can I pull the lager out at room temp. for 5 days while I burst carb the kegs in the fridge, then put the carboy back in to lager? Would that be considered a proper diacytl rest? Can I just carb at room temp or will that use too much Co2?

Addressing the last first, the amount of CO2 you use is independent of the carbonation temperature. It only depends on the desired carbonation at the serving temperature.

You can carbonate at room temperature, but will have to use a higher pressure. Consult a carbonation chart for each style.

You have a couple of options in my opinion.
Carb at room temp. It'll be a higher pressure, probably 30 psi or so, see carb charts. If my understanding of the ideal gas law is correct (very suspect, I'm a civil engineer) you won't be using more gas, it'll just be at a higher pressure in order to get it into solution.

Check the lager's gravity, if it's about done, you could pull it out and do the rest. If you pitched the right amount of yeast, it could be close. I would think the flavor profile will be there if it's close and pulling it out now won't hurt it if you lager later.

What are you fermenting in? Can you pull it out and put it in a swamp cooler and maintain fermentation temps?

There's still Krausen, so I'm not how close it is or not. I brewed in a better bottle, but have no way to maintain temp outside the fridge.

I'm thinking I'll have to just carb at room temperature. Otherwise the lager will sit at room temp for 7 days. Is that too long for the rest?

I'm of the opinion that 7 days isn't too long for the rest, but I think you need to time it right. The problem I see with carbing at room temp, is that the 30 psi I quoted above is for carbing over weeks, not days, I'm not sure what temp you'd have to do for burst carbing at room temp.
If I were you, I'd check the gravity of the lager. If it's within a few points, take it out for the rest and use the fridge for cooler carbing of your kegs. If it's not within a few points, do you have a cooler you could use as a swamp cooler? I use a cooler with my glass carboys to ferment lagers in all the time, maintains temp much better than you think if you swap out ice bottles regularly.
Bottom line, I'd check the gravity of the lager and then decide.

Back