Lagering in Primary or Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewhal

Reaction score
I read conflicting information on lagering in primary
Some say better to transfer to secondary
Others say it doesn't matter

What are your experiences lagering your beer in primary, has this ever caused any haziness or off-flavors at the end of your lagering process?

I lager in kegs after fermenting. I have also neglected a primary ferment for a few months and lagered itself. I honestly don't see any issue between the two. My recommendation is to lager in whatever manner works best for you and your process.

I haven't had any issues with haziness either way. If you lager anything long enough, you'll be able to read through it.

I would shy away from using a secondary in the traditional sense unless you do so in a keg.... using a good closed transfer method of course to get it there.

Best practice is to get the beer away from fermentation yeast during lagering. Keg is the 1st choice. 2ndary is more of an O2 exposure risk which is why most do not employ a 2ndary. (two transfers and transfers are where you pick up the most O2).

I read conflicting information on lagering in primary
Some say better to transfer to secondary
Others say it doesn't matter

What are your experiences lagering your beer in primary, has this ever caused any haziness or off-flavors at the end of your lagering process?

Do you keg , or do you bottle?

I keg after about 3 weeks . If I were to bottle , I'd batch prime after the diacetyl rest . Let the bottles prime for a couple weeks , then refrigerate once carbonation is good.

Back