lagering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageman

Reaction score
im new to home brewing i got my kit for fathers day and made the continal pilser that came with my kit it was down just in time for 4th of july and everybody love well my wife wanted me to make black cherry ale that is in one of my books and it says to lager it for 2 months could you help and let me know what the mean by that i currently have the beer in my primary fermenter and in about a week going to transfer it over to the carboy please let me know what it means to lager it thank you in advance

To lager actually means "to store" and it was originally done in caves over a period of months. In todays' brewing, it generally is thought of as bringing the temperature near freezing and keep there for the lagering period.

Could you share the recipe, and the yeast type, and we can critique it and give you more practical advice?

6.5 lbs light malt extract
3 qts black cherry juice
first flavoring 1oz. hallertau (4aau's)
Aromatic 1/4 oz cascade (1aau)
1 teaspoon irish moss
2 teaspoons gypsum
1 package dried ale yeast
4 1/2 oz corn sugar for carbonation

Um, I admit I've been drinking, but could you PLEASE use a punctuation mark or two so I could make heads or tails of your post????????? WTF did you say?????

6.5 lbs light malt extract
3 qts black cherry juice
first flavoring 1oz. hallertau (4aau's)
Aromatic 1/4 oz cascade (1aau)
1 teaspoon irish moss
2 teaspoons gypsum
1 package dried ale yeast
4 1/2 oz corn sugar for carbonation

Well, that looks like an ale alright. I guess the point of lagering would be to "clean up" the flavors, but I'm not sure it's necessary. One thing you could do is just bottle it as normal, then after it carbs up in two-three weeks, stick it in the fridge to cold condition. In this case, lagering would just be cold conditioning an ale.

Otherwise, for a true lagering, I'd rack to secondary, then drop the temperature down to nearly freezing for 8 weeks. Then, though, I'd be concerned that your beer won't carbonate properly when you go to bottle it. Those cold temperatures might cause the ale yeast to totally go dormant and not be healthy for bottling, so this wouldn't be my first choice.

Latest posts

Back