Lager fridge bottom shelf reinforcing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharri1

In Rembrance 6/2023
Reaction score
I really would like to do two lagers at a time because I can fit two 6.5 gallon fermenters in this fridge. I have one in there now no problems I'm just afraid the Shelf could possibly break and I don't want that mess. I thought about getting a piece of thick plexiglass cut and replace an existing glass anyone have any experience or thoughts on that?
1538940480649.jpeg

Take the shelf out and make a level platform with some scrapwood and maybe your plexiglass.

You may find that without the shelf you can fit two fermenters in there without any modifications.

Take the shelf out and make a level platform with some scrapwood and maybe your plexiglass.

You may find that without the shelf you can fit two fermenters in there without any modifications.
Thank you! Once my lager is done I will take my empty carboys and get an eyeball on it and get some measurements!

As I look at that again, I think it looks like there's a slope toward the back of the shelf. Might make too shallow an area to fit the fermenters.

If so, you might look at the door and see if there are shelf brackets on there that interfere with the closing of the door.

If you do need to construct something, all you really need is something to bring a piece of plywood or similar to a level area.

Here's my fridge; if you look closely you can see a piece of stock on the bottom that I shimmed up to accommodate the two fermenters. I didn't have to bring it up very high until the door would close. You may find you don't need to bring a platform up to where the compressor hump is, just enough to allow the door to close.

fermchamber2c.jpg

As I look at that again, I think it looks like there's a slope toward the back of the shelf. Might make too shallow an area to fit the fermenters.

If so, you might look at the door and see if there are shelf brackets on there that interfere with the closing of the door.

If you do need to construct something, all you really need is something to bring a piece of plywood or similar to a level area.

Here's my fridge; if you look closely you can see a piece of stock on the bottom that I shimmed up to accommodate the two fermenters. I didn't have to bring it up very high until the door would close. You may find you don't need to bring a platform up to where the compressor hump is, just enough to allow the door to close.

View attachment 591776
okay cool thank you yeah I have a hump where the compressor is I need to do some measurements and stick them both in their empty and see where it looks like

I really would like to do two lagers at a time because I can fit two 6.5 gallon fermenters in this fridge. I have one in there now no problems I'm just afraid the Shelf could possibly break and I don't want that mess. I thought about getting a piece of thick plexiglass cut and replace an existing glass anyone have any experience or thoughts on that? View attachment 591773

Find something solid that's a tight fit and put it under the front of the center brace for the glass shelf. If it isn't quite tall enough just shim it. I used an old plastic LME jar and a piece of plastic to shim it with and have had no problem with two 5.5 gallon batches at a time. A piece of 4x4 cut to length would work too. That tempered glass is a lot stronger than it looks.

Find something solid that's a tight fit and put it under the front of the center brace for the glass shelf. If it isn't quite tall enough just shim it. I used an old plastic LME jar and a piece of plastic to shim it with and have had no problem with two 5.5 gallon batches at a time. A piece of 4x4 cut to length would work too. That tempered glass is a lot stronger than it looks.
Thanks !

Back