Lactobacillus question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just brewed a Gose. Pitched the Lacto 5 days prior to yeast. I am using Wyeast 2565 and after a day and a half I am seeing no activity. I have read that this yeast is a fast starter which is why I'm concerned. Did a 2 liter starter on both lacto and 2565. Could the ph have dropped too low?

Thanks,
Derek

So it's now 6.5 days since brewing?

My big issue with pre-pitching Lacto is exactly this. If you aren't careful and measure the pH, you could run into issues with the brewer's yeast fermentation.

Have you checked the gravity? pH?

Yep, I pitched the lacto last saturday.

I haven't checked the gravity or pH but I can check tonight. One thing that I didn't do was aerate before adding the sacch yeast. I didn't aerate before lacto pitch either as I was concerned about the oxygen working against lacto.

Do you think it's too late to aerate now? I guess the sacch could use some oxygen because of the low ph.

Checked the gravity and it's down to 1.009 in a week. Now I'm really confused. Considering I saw zero activity. The lacto was pretty active after I pitched it but not the sacch yeast.

Checked the gravity and it's down to 1.009 in a week. Now I'm really confused. Considering I saw zero activity. The lacto was pretty active after I pitched it but not the sacch yeast.

Lacto produces CO2, alcohol, and reduces the gravity (assuming it is heterofermentative, which the Wyeast culture is).

Sorry to piggyback this thread but I'm facing a similar situation. Pitched lacto brevis 2 days ago, pitched yeast today and the Gravity has dropped from .045 to .020 (literally as soon as the yeast was pitched). It was a lacto brevis strain. Will this cause any problems with alcohol prouduced or later stages of fermentation? (Brett will be going in in 2 weeks)

Sorry to piggyback this thread but I'm facing a similar situation. Pitched lacto brevis 2 days ago, pitched yeast today and the Gravity has dropped from .045 to .020 (literally as soon as the yeast was pitched). It was a lacto brevis strain. Will this cause any problems with alcohol prouduced or later stages of fermentation? (Brett will be going in in 2 weeks)

The current understanding is that if you got that much of a drop, there was something other than Lacto at work: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/100%_Lactobacillus_Fermentation

Back