Lacking Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe4444

Reaction score
I have brewed a similar IPA/APA recipe a few times (ranging from 4% to 8% ABV) and the odd aftertaste is more prominent the lower the ABV is, but is still present in the higher ABV (likely masked by more bitterness). The beers are generally very good, but when I compare to commercial examples, the weak aftertaste/finish is really annoying.

The aftertaste I get is a bit muted/dull/stale. When having similar commercial beers the finish is much brighter/crisper and more flavorful.

I guess it must be something in my process, as the flavor is fairly consistent across recipes and yeasts (S05, SO4, WY1099, WLP002, WY1968).

Here is the most recent recipe:
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.016
ABV: 4.9%
IBU: 42 (FWH, 15 min, 5 min, 0 min, dry hop, keg hop)

Mash pH: 5.34
End Boil pH: 5.17
Final pH: 4.34

Mash Temp: 155 for 45 mins
Temperature controlled ferment: 67 for 7 days, then 7 day dry hop

68% 2-row
15% Munich
7% Flaked Oats
6% Carapils
6% Caramunich
S05 yeast (rehydrated)

Starting --> Ending Water
Ca: 22 --> 118
Mg: 12 --> 12
Na: 52 --> 52
Cl: 64 --> 64
SO4: 45 --> 275
Alkalinity: 84 --> 0
Use .22 ml of 85% phosphoric acid to drop mash pH down to 5.34
Use potassium metabisulfite for chlorine/chloramine

My guesses are water profile (might try RO), but my water isn’t that bad. Or maybe oxidation somehow, but I go straight from primary to CO2 purged keg, and the taste is pretty immediate.

Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Have you tried to ferment in the low 60's and then ramp it up to 67-68 last 10-20% of attenuation? I've noticed odd aftertaste from time to time and I'm thinking it comes from re-pitching certain yeasts that I've used but it could also be pitching rates and fermentation temperature. Maybe I'm on the wrong track altogether, don't know for sure.

The aftertaste I get is a bit muted/dull/stale. When having similar commercial beers the finish is much brighter/crisper and more flavorful.

I guess it must be something in my process, as the flavor is fairly consistent across recipes and yeasts (S05, SO4, WY1099, WLP002, WY1968).

That really makes me think oxidation...but you seem very detail oriented and careful.

1.016 is a little high for an APA/IPA to finish at. There is a huge difference between 1.010 and 1.016, mostly in the way that the residual sugars affect the flavor and dulls the hoppiness.

This would make sense too with your lower ABV beers because they're also most likely lower IBU, and the IBU is going to balance out with the residual sugars. I would suggest doing the same beer but mashing lower, and maybe dropping the crystal malt a little bit to drive the finishing gravity down. A lighter beer will POP more, especially with the hops.

Have you tried to ferment in the low 60's and then ramp it up to 67-68 last 10-20% of attenuation?

I have not, although I was planning to do something like this in an upcoming bitter. I do think the handling of the yeast plays a big role in things like this, so it is definitely worth trying.

I would suggest doing the same beer but mashing lower, and maybe dropping the crystal malt a little bit to drive the finishing gravity down. A lighter beer will POP more, especially with the hops.

My beers use to finish around 1.010, but some of the lower ABV ones seemed a bit thin, so that is why I made an effort to increase the FG on those ones (shorter mash time and mash out helping the most, higher mash temp helping a little). But you are right, I do notice the hops aren't as overpowering as before, but I feel that can be rectified by more hopping. And I feel like I've noticed this issue with those beers as well.

Back