labels and oxy-clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunolde

Reaction score
I have read a few posts about the "oxy-clean" soak for making the removal of labels easy, but no recipes. How much and what kind of oxy-clean (there seem to be a few flavors, depending on the job) should be used? I have some cases of 22oz from which I have never removed the labels.

Thanks!

Actually I use ammonia. Just fill your sink with as much water as possibly and dump 3 shot glasses full of Lemon Ammonia in it. Won't hurt you unless you in such a small amount. Labels will come off in about a half hour (maybe more depending on the type of label).

Hope this helps!

You want oxyclean free, or the generic sun oxygen cleaner. Basically one with out fragrance or dyes etc. I usually do one scoop (around 2 tbsp i think?) per five gallons of hot water.

Oh ya...I have tested oxyclean, and haven't had good results.

dunolde said:
I have read a few posts about the "oxy-clean" soak for making the removal of labels easy, but no recipes. How much and what kind of oxy-clean (there seem to be a few flavors, depending on the job) should be used? I have some cases of 22oz from which I have never removed the labels.

Thanks!

There is one with no odor or bleach. Go with that and read the directions on the package. Something like 1 scoop to a gallon (not sure of the specifics).

Oxy clean free. As in scent free. A little less than a scoop in a big target rubbermaid tub is enough for me. I like to use warm water as hot as I can get from the bath tub. If it soaks too long it will get slimy so I get in there and use a kitchen sponge to remove everything. Make sure you clean the inside good too. Then rinse and dry. Then before use soak in star san.

Use the oxy free with no fragrances. I put half a scoop in about 3-4 gallons of hot water and let them soak for a day or two. Get a paint scraper and they come off quite easy. There is usually a little adhesive residue which I just hit with a green dish scrubber and rinse with hot water. Just sanitize before use and you are ready to go.

I'm new to home brewing, but have had really good luck getting labels off by soaking in water with regular dish soap, then rubbing the labels off with a magic eraser, those things clean everything!

I did that as well, and it worked just fine. The key to all the ideas in this thread is to allow the bottles/labels soak for a decent amount of time.

Back