Label Removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I was wondering if i put one of those thick yard waste plastic garbage bag in a trash can and then filled it with water and the right amount of ammonia if that would remove the labels before the solution ate through the plastic garbage bag, or will it eat through? that is my question i guess.

I just use some bleach in hot water for labels.

Use a green scouring pad on the gum and a bottle brush for the inside and they'll be sanitized at the same time.

Bleach must be rinsed off with hot water several times.

You can also just drain the bottles (no-rinse) and cap them with aluminum foil and they should stay disinfected for up to a year (so I've read). Rinsing required prior to use.:D

Hell just let them sit for a few daze in the bleach solution HB99 suggest they will be all nice and sparkly clean.

The bath tub works much better than a trash bag in a trash bin.

I score the labels with a wallpaper scouring tool, and then soak in plain hot water for 1/2 hour. This gets rid of some labels (most British and Irish), but not others.

For the others that I have tried, a 1/2 hour soak in b-brite does the trick. (I expect oxi-clean would do the same.)

-a.

The most effective label removers I have found are oxy cleaner and washing soda (from the laundry detergent area of the supermarket).

Both leave a filmy residue which requires good rinsing, but both also remove labelks with pretty-much zero scrubbing required. I usually use washing soda because it's cheaper.

try a rubbermaid tub outside with an ammonia water mix. Let them sit for a couple days and the freakin labels like melt off!! :)

Whatever you do-- DO NOT MIX AMMONIA WITH BLEACH. - its called mustard gas and its a horrible way to die

Back