Lürchenbeir Double Chocolate Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannylerch

Reaction score
Brewing my first non kit recipe tonight. I've done a bunch of Brewers best kits and Ciders. So now I thought I'd take the plunge and come up with my own. My LHBS helped me a tad and I decided to add the lactose, cocoa powder, and vanilla beans on my own accord. I basically took some ideas from some other stout recipes and came up with what is below:

Est:
ABV: 6.2-8%
IBU - 24

Extract:
7lbs of Dark LME

Specialty grains:
12oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Munich
4oz Black Malt
4oz Crystal 120L
16oz of Lactose
8oz of Non Sweetened Dutch Cocoa Powder (last 10 mins)

Hops

1oz North Down (60min)
1oz US Golding (10 mins)

Additionals
2 vanilla beans in secondary(though I don't usually secondary ferment so I'll add this after primary fermentation chills out.

Yeast
wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I bought all the ingredients. And I've tried several other choc stouts. If you have any suggestions, lemmi hear them!

Curious how it worked out. I was thinking about doing something similar, minus the cocoa powder. But now that I read this, I kind of want to add it to mine now. What did your OG end up at?

Sounds pretty good, but just to be precise what you have with the lack of roasted barley and the addition of lactose is going to be far closer to a sweet stout than an Irish dry.

That's why my IBUs are balanced a bit higher. The chocolate extract comes off bitter. The vanilla bean cuts the bitterness of the chocolate. The lactose also gives residual sweetness, but higher IBUs ensure that the flavor is balanced. At least that was the initial intention.

And it will be more sweet, my hops were less IBUs than expected. Actually in the 24 range! Can't wait to drink it!

Back