Krausen question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a new one I have never seen.
5.25 gal. Batch has been in 6.5 gal. Glass carboy for a week. After 3-4 days of robust fermentation, I have a crust of krausen sitting on the upper part of the glass, but none sitting on top of the beer.
Anyone ever have this?

I usually have some gunk floating around the top of my beer, but that can probably be attributed to me dumping everything from my BK in to my carboy and not filtering whatsoever. All in all it doesn't seem like an issue if you're worried!

Normal to have hop debris stick to the glass after the krausen has fallen. Soak the carboy inverted with a couple gallons of water to loosen the ring. It will brush off easily the next day.

That's just it. As far as I could tell, there was never krausen on top of the beer to fall. Used a yeast starter and it seemed to blow it all up top. Should turn out fine. It's just...weird.

It's normal to get that ring around the collar after the krausen falls back into the beer. Kraysen typically settles back after initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging. & don't mess with that crud ring,leave it where it is when racking to bottling bucket or keg. It's bitter if you sweep it down into the beer.

Back