Krausen Pushed Airlock out Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broccolibrew

Reaction score
Brewed an American IPA yesterday, 5 Gallons @ 1.060 OG. Used WLP001 started 3 days prior - added about 2/3 cup of yeast to the fermenter.

Before going to the bed, the fermenter was bubbling nicely. In the morning the krausen pushed the airlock off the carboy, as in in the photo.
TQimPIX.jpg

Is the batch 100% contaminated or is there is still a chance the batch turns out okay? I assume others have had this issue in the past.

No worries. Clean it up, sanitize the bung and airlock, and replace. I use a blow off tube on all my brews. Keeps stuff like this to a minimum.

I had the same thing happen on my first or second batch. Went to sleep and the airlock was doing its thing. Middle of the night I'm awaken by what sounded like a shotgun blast, it was the stopper/airlock blown out, huge mess.

Your beer will be fine, when there's that much pressure trying to get out, nothing else is likely to get in. In the future you'll want to hook up a blow off so you don't have to worry about this kind of thing happening.

It should be fine. All the co2 and krausen coming out keep the nasties from getting in.

Rig a blowoff tube at the start of every fermentation. Also look to controlling the fermentation. I prefer just under the midpoint of the optimum range for the yeast.

I've got wlp001 boiling out my blowoff tube as I type this. It is a beastly yeast. I will always use a blowoff with it.

Just had one last night. 7th batch. LOUD POP, then all over the kitchen when I came down out of bed 2 in the morning. stuff spewing everywhere. It blew off the small cap on the carboy cap I use. The airlock jammed up. I am going to put a small blow off hose on next time. Funny thing is I was watching it for 2 days..no problems. Then POP when i was not looking. Anyone ever try a small blow off hose in conjunction with a airlock?

Back