Krausen not falling, though desired FG reached!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilingbender

Reaction score
So I had a blonde ale in my fermenter which has been in there for a week now. I took a sample to check the FG. The FG has already reached the desired value. But there is still a layer of krausen sitting happily on top. I read a few topics in which people suggested to let the beer be till the krausen falls down. I'm confused as to what to do. I had brewed this batch to drink on New Years! My values are:

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.008
Temperature: 72 F

You could try gently swirling the carboy to get the co2 out of suspension which is most likely holding up the krausen. One week isn't a lot of time though and it is probably best to let it sit a little longer.

You could try gently swirling the carboy to get the co2 out of suspension which is most likely holding up the krausen. One week isn't a lot of time though and it is probably best to let it sit a little longer.

Yeah I know. I was thinking of that actually. But I'll first swirl the carboy like you suggested. But the ABV is 6.84%, which is higher than I wanted anyway. Keeping it longer would increase the ABV more (I'm guessing there are more fermentable sugars inside). Maybe I'll wait for two more days then.

So I had a blonde ale in my fermenter which has been in there for a week now. I took a sample to check the FG. The FG has already reached the desired value. But there is still a layer of krausen sitting happily on top. I read a few topics in which people suggested to let the beer be till the krausen falls down. I'm confused as to what to do. I had brewed this batch to drink on New Years! My values are:

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.008
Temperature: 72 F

I wouldn't touch it.

Yeah I know. I was thinking of that actually. But I'll first swirl the carboy like you suggested. But the ABV is 6.84%, which is higher than I wanted anyway. Keeping it longer would increase the ABV more (I'm guessing there are more fermentable sugars inside). Maybe I'll wait for two more days then.

At that temperature it is probably mostly done fermenting. But if it is not, and you plan to bottle it, the remaining fermentables plus the priming sugar would make me worry about bottle bombs. I would give it another week personally. Just my two cents.

On my last batch I thought that i had this same problem. I think that I even posted here for help. It turned out that what i thought was krausen on the beer, was actually deposits of the krausen on the glass walls of my fermentor. When I pulled the airlock, and looked down into the fermentor, the top of the beer was clear of krausen.

At that temperature it is probably mostly done fermenting. But if it is not, and you plan to bottle it, the remaining fermentables plus the priming sugar would make me worry about bottle bombs. I would give it another week personally. Just my two cents.

I'd planned this one for New Years! Maybe I'll wait for a few more days and go easy on the priming sugar. I'd rather wait then have the bottles blast. I've checked the gravity today. I'll check it again tomorrow. And day after. If it doesn't change, I think I'll be good to go!

On my last batch I thought that i had this same problem. I think that I even posted here for help. It turned out that what i thought was krausen on the beer, was actually deposits of the krausen on the glass walls of my fermentor. When I pulled the airlock, and looked down into the fermentor, the top of the beer was clear of krausen.

Hahahahahahaha! The beer trolled you or what! My carboy is transparent and I can see that damned krausen smiling back at me. Not just from the sides!

I'd planned this one for New Years! Maybe I'll wait for a few more days and go easy on the priming sugar. I'd rather wait then have the bottles blast. I've checked the gravity today. I'll check it again tomorrow. And day after. If it doesn't change, I think I'll be good to go!

Taste it do you taste green apples?

So how long do you think I should wait?

After 7 days since you pitched the yeast you still have krausen. This is not surprising and is entirely consistent with ongoing fermentation. I would wait until signs that fermentation is complete before taking a gravity reading on a sample at 60F

Krausen is gone, no airlock activity.

This is a big beer with an SG greater than 1.060. Can't imagine this being ready to move from the primary to your bottling bucket/keg sooner than 3 weeks. What is the rush?

I would have question marks on your gravity reading. Was the sample at 60F. Sometimes you will see bubbles forming in the sample indicative of fermentation.

I have never had a beer ready to move after 7 days.

I'd just let it sit and check the gravity Wed. and again Saturday. If all three readings are the same, you're good to go. Stirring it up at this point will just make it take longer to clear.

I'd just let it sit and check the gravity Wed. and again Saturday. If all three readings are the same, you're good to go. Stirring it up at this point will just make it take longer to clear.

Yup. That's the one.

After 7 days since you pitched the yeast you still have krausen. This is not surprising and is entirely consistent with ongoing fermentation. I would wait until signs that fermentation is complete before taking a gravity reading on a sample at 60F

Krausen is gone, no airlock activity.

This is a big beer with an SG greater than 1.060. Can't imagine this being ready to move from the primary to your bottling bucket/keg sooner than 3 weeks. What is the rush?

I would have question marks on your gravity reading. Was the sample at 60F. Sometimes you will see bubbles forming in the sample indicative of fermentation.

I have never had a beer ready to move after 7 days.

I use a blow off tube and there has been no activity for the past 2-3 days. But the krausen is still there. There could be some fermentation activity being carried out inside then.

And yeah, it's a high gravity beer and even I'm surprised the FG dropped so low. Maybe I'll check the FG again for two consecutive days. I'd taken the sample and measured it at 70 F. The rush is only because I want to have it at New Years! But I've got other homebrews that I can have.

Yeah I guess I'll do that for starters. If the readings change, then I'll let it be. Thanks! 😄

A couple of days. You can put gelatin in it also. It clears beer pretty well. I would cold crash for a week or 2 then let it warm back up unless you are kegging

Oh I missed your comment. I'll lower down the temperature. It should fall within a day?

What did you end up doing? How was the BA? Facing the same situation here? BA @1.008 after 5 days @ 65F and (slow rise) 2 days @71F. Was thinking about cold crashing but was going to start it on Monday.

Back