Krausen hasn't fallen yet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O1DMBFan

Reaction score
Hey there guys. I've been a long time lurker, first time post. This is my 3rd batch, an American Wheat. Just using kits at this point.

Recipe:
6lbs Malt Extract - 65% Wheat / 35% Barley
1oz Willamette
1oz Cascade
WLP320 American Hefeweizen Yeast
OG: 1036

74 Degrees when we pitched yeast. A very vigorous aeration followed.

It's day 10 in the primary. Krausen is still 1/2in tall but has thinned out. Looks like big airy bubbles. GR last night was 1008. Bubble every 14~ seconds. The GR shows pretty good fermentation but Why hasn't the Krausen fallen yet?

If the Fermentation process hasn't slowed by day 14, I'll be racking to a secondary. If it has stopped but the krausen remains can I bottle or should I take other action?

Last question, if my brew reaches it's FG within 2 weeks is there any reason to rack to a secondary (besides clarity) or can I just bottle from there?

What is an American Hefeweizen? Is that real? Anyway, I'd suspect any type of yeast like this would produce long lasting krausen. Just rack from under it. You could swirl, but it's a yeasty beer, so I don't see the point.

There is no reason to go to a secondary. You started at 1.036? You're already at 1.008, how low are you going?

I don't think I've ever had one fall in 10 days. It'll fall eventually, but you could rack under if it's stable and you are in a hurry. Otherwise, check again at day 21, and don't bother with secondary. Hefe won't be clear anyway.

Here's some info on the yeast in case you were curious. http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp320.html

I figured we didn't need to wait any longer because it's 1.008. So technically I could bottle tonight then, right?

Why is the air lock so active still if the gravity is at 1.008, will it go even lower? Should I ever worry about the bubbles or just the Gravity Readings?

I know these are a lot of questions but I'm very new to brewing and have only articles to go off of. Don't have any advanced brewer friends to ask questions.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Latest posts

Back