Kottbusser - A style deserving of revival!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gushing would not be untypical for a wild yeast infection. We once did a joint brewing project of a Fullers Party Gyle and ended up with five different beers with varying strength. Due to use of contaminated equipment, most likely with a Brett-type organism, some of them suffered from differing degrees of infection (one or two were absolutely ok) and differing degrees of gushing. This was particularly noticeable as we bottled all five beers on the same day using a counter pressure filler, and gushing intensity coincided quite clearly with the extent of infection.

At the time of bottling we were really surprised with regards to the observed differences in gushing (some of the beer types caused some seriously soaked clothing and were almost impossible to bottle while others were absolutely ok despite identical barrel pressures at the time of bottling), and the relationship to the varying degrees of "Brett" only revealed itself in hindsight. Of course, the infected beers were all serious gushers afterwards also.

Maybe it could also be a mutation? I seem to remember reading you had variations / fluctuations in fermentation temperature? Some yeast types are, apparently, a bit sensitive to that and develop "petite mutants".

The bottle in the video foamed up over the lip slightly & stopped. That's the extent of any gushers. Everything was cleaned, rinsed & sanitized before use. But the temp did fluctuate. I'll just have to brew it again & see if it was me, something on the grain, or?...

Did we ever decide what effect the honey might have in this context? If we use organic or even raw honey, might there not be a plethora of bacteria along for the ride?

I think I used standard, over the counter clover honey. Which gives me optimism that it wouldn't cause an infection, but I also don't remember if I used an open container or a new one.

The clover honey I used was pasteurized from the store & hadn't been opened yet. There was so little of it, Idk why they added it? But it & the small molasses additions had to be toners of some kind?

Thanks for the discussion. It inspired me to brew one, and it turned out great. Cheers
IMG_1104.JPG

Back