Konadog's Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Time to add another Keezer build to the mix.

I started by reading countless keezer builds here on HBT, and after making a part list, checking it countless times, abandoning and restarting shopping carts, changing things more times than I would like to count, I finally ordered the parts and started the build.

I wanted it to be big enough to hold 6 kegs without using the hump, 4 will be tapped, and 2 ageing, just waiting in the wings.

Parts for Keezer:

Started with a 4th of July sale at BeverageFactory
Primary Double Gauge CO2 Gas Beer Regulator with Polyethylene Knob
Four Product Secondary Co2 Regulator with Check Valves

Found this freezer during a Presidents Sale at Best Buy for $199.99
Insignia 10.2 Cu Ft Chest Freezer White
Model: NS-CZ10WH6
SKU: 8389389

Found some Perlick 425 taps here in the "For Sale" section. Great thing was there were local so I could pick them up.
I also found someone selling some ball lock kegs just around the block from me and picked them up.
Used parts can be "iffy" at best, but the taps and kegs were all first class, well taken care of parts.

Last but not least, all the shanks, tubing, connectors, etc. I found at RiteBrew. I went with all swivel nuts for everything so it would be easier to change things out if needed without busting an Oetiker clamp, or trying to tighten a typical hose clamp.

Lowes was next on the list for a couple of 2 x 6's (inside of collar), and a couple of 1 x 6 PVC boards (outside collar).

2016-12-10 14.39.34.jpg

2016-12-10 14.39.13.jpg

2016-12-17 16.07.05.jpg

2016-12-17 16.07.21.jpg

2016-12-17 16.07.28.jpg

In that last picture, whats going on there? Do those leak? I have pinlock so im curious

No leak, I just had put it on, taken it off a few times and had a few drips from that. Didn't want anything messing up my new freezer inside.

Question for you good sir!

Do you know if your chest freezer will hold 6 corny kegs (Not on the Hump)? It looks like it might, but want to confirm. Trying to decide if I should purchase this one.

Thanks!

I should have looked more closely, you say you wanted 6 and this looks to fit the bill with room.
Holds 6 with plenty of wiggle room between kegs (not using the hump).

Why are your hoses so long?
Calculating a balanced system came out close to 15', so that's where I started. Gas hoses will all fit the farthest keg.

looks great! planning to do any sealant/insulation inside the collar or have you not noticed a reason to (i.e. unit doesnt seem to cycle excessively)?

Looks like barrier tubing, slicker than solid PVC.
If so, going longer was a good move.
Good looking build, btw...

Cheers! :mug:

Yes, it's Bev-Seal Ultra Tubing on the liquid side, another reason to add a bit of length. The good news is, no foaming pours! I was actually going to start cutting one of them to see if they could be shorter, but it's not broke so........ :)

looks great! planning to do any sealant/insulation inside the collar or have you not noticed a reason to (i.e. unit doesnt seem to cycle excessively)?

Thanks!
No, I wasn't planning on any insulation as I don't see any condensation or excessive compressor cycling. The corners and bottom are sealed, and the inside is painted. I think the outer board (made of PVC) works as insulation too.

Hey Kona,

Haven't been able to find much on the Insignia. After a few months of use, what's your opinion? I was about to pull the trigger on the 8.8 Kenmore but for just about the same price it looks like I could potentially fit 2 more kegs with very similar exterior dimensions.

Interested in your thoughts!

So far so good! No problems with the freezer at all. It's very quiet, even with a fan blowing in it 24/7. I have an InkBird controlling the temp, and it runs maybe twice an hour.

The only problem so far is keeping beer in it, seems I can't make it fast enough :)

So far so good! No problems with the freezer at all. It's very quiet, even with a fan blowing in it 24/7. I have an InkBird controlling the temp, and it runs maybe twice an hour.

The only problem so far is keeping beer in it, seems I can't make it fast enough :)

Awesome, thanks! I just ordered it last night from Best Buy as they had a deal for $254. Not quite the deal you got earlier in the year but I'll keep an eye on it to see if they drop the price any further in the next month or so for a price match.

Any chance you can provide an updated picture with the fan placement? How is the fan powered? I'd like to add a fan and one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers.

Also, did you miter the 2x's that you used? It looks like there is an angle to them.

Awesome, thanks! I just ordered it last night from Best Buy as they had a deal for $254. Not quite the deal you got earlier in the year but I'll keep an eye on it to see if they drop the price any further in the next month or so for a price match.

Any chance you can provide an updated picture with the fan placement? How is the fan powered? I'd like to add a fan and one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers.

Also, did you miter the 2x's that you used? It looks like there is an angle to them.

I can take a picture tonight, but I just have it hanging from the bottom of the basket for now. It's blowing air across all of the tubing keeping things chilled. The fan came pre-wired, it's 120v, I used this one.

Yes, I did miter the 2 x 6's because of the top (see first pic). I kept the outside flush with the freezer, so with the 1 x 6 PVC, and the 2 x 6 wood collar, it put the inside just in the way of the top completely closing. I keep the CO2 outside, so if you look in the corner, you will see the red gas line and electrical coming in (last pic).

Let me know if you want any measurements or pictures, and I'll take them tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thanks for the information and the quick responses. I'll look into that fan for sure. I'm planning on building a countertop and installing base cabinets on the side of the keezer. I'd have the keezer on sliders or casters that will allow me to slide in and out of a slot between the wall and cabinets and under the countertop. I was also planning on leaving the CO2 outside the keezer and in the cabinet next to the keezer so it is out of sight. I'd have to leave enough gas line that will allow the keezer to slide in and out without having to disconnect the CO2 every time. Same with the power cord then for the fan.

HI,

Konadog, that looks great! Well done. I just purchased that exact same freezer, and am planning on a similar build to yours. Any specific pitfalls you'd caution against? Also, what was the magic number you used for gas line length, to let you reach everywhere without a bunch of slack?

Cheers

fwiw, the OP's Bevseal Ultra Series 235 beer line is old hat these days. "EVABarrier" tubing is the rage as its O2 permeability is the best in the beer line business right now.

It can be had (from brewhardware.com, for example) in both a 4mm ID and 5mm ID line for our home brew short run situations (they also have 6mm ID for longer line installations) and it can be (and probably should be) used for both beer and gas to provide the best minimization of O2 ingress in a dispensing system.

I converted my entire brewery - beer and gas lines - to EVABarrier tubing and push-to-connect fittings a year ago November. It was one of the best upgrades I've done in 16 years. I only need ~5.5 feet runs of the 4mm ID line for balanced pours in my keezer at 11-12 psi, 9 feet for 15 psi, and I use the 5mm ID line for all of my gas systems. It has a bend radius well under 2" which is a big advantage over the Ultra 235...

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips! I hadn't known you could get push-to-connect for screw-in fittings, but you and Google have shown me the light.

I'll check back in once I get the build rolling.

Cheers all

As with everything, there's always something new. Just remember that most tubing is pretty tough, so you can only coil it so tight. I found that using Velcro straps to hold all the tubing tight makes it easy to move the bundles around when changing out kegs. I also added 90 deg elbows to the back of the tap shanks so now all my tubing is down low between the kegs and the side if the freezer. So far I have not had any issues with the freezer, so hopefully you'll have the same luck!

It's true, tech is a moving target - just try deciding what processor, motherboard, memory and graphics engine to use for your next PC build - it's crazy!
I was going to use Ultra 235 on my recent (third) keezer build but the EVABarrier came out with a splash with specs that are hard to ignore :)

Cheers!

Anyone have feedback on the Taprite 4-way secondary CO2 regulator used in this build? I'm planning to go 6-way, and Taprite seems to have the only product that goes over four. However, the higher-end Kegco secondaries look like a better design, and I found some complaints about the Kegco secondaries - leaking, pressure randomizing, etc.

Or maybe, since most of what I pour will be at the same pressure, I should get a 2-way or 3-way secondary, and daisy-chain a passive splitter off of that.

Any experience or insights are much appreciated - thanks!

Historically, Kegco regulator quality relegated it to the basement bargain rack of cheap regs, to be avoided unless desperate.
Not sure anything has really changed in that regard.
Whatever you decide, make sure you can buy rebuild kits at a reasonable price...

Cheers!

I keep looking at these pics and still am not seeing why you had to miter the 2x6s.
I'd like to directly copy your build once I finally retire my kegerator made out of a freezer top fridge.
I'm also team Eva barrier. I use the 4mm ID with duo tight for liquid and gas and love it!

You may or may not have to, I did because the plastic part on the original lid just hit it enough to make me say "do it now so you don't hate it later", so I did. I definitely didn't need to take off as much as I did, probably only 1/2 inch would have done it.

I answered it better here:
Yes, I did miter the 2 x 6's because of the top (see first pic). I kept the outside flush with the freezer, so with the 1 x 6 PVC, and the 2 x 6 wood collar, it put the inside just in the way of the top completely closing. I keep the CO2 outside, so if you look in the corner, you will see the red gas line and electrical coming in (last pic).

So if you don't put the PVC board on it, you might not have to do it at all.

Last edited:
Well, it's been 4 years since any upgrades, so I finally caved to trying the new EVABarrier Double Wall Draft Tubing
and couldn't be happier! I always hated the stiff Bev-Seal Ultra Tubing and how long they had to be. The nice thing is that I didn't have to change out any of the connectors and the lines are less than half of the old ones.

Love the EVABarrier tubing, been using that for a few years now throughout my brewer, keezer, jockey box, and beer engine. Cleans so nicely as well. Think you'll be really happy with that change.

Back