Kona Castaway IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have this beer before? Your thoughts? I think this is my new favorite IPA. With the exception of the Koko Brown, I really loved everything I've had from Kona and I've not had a lot. The Koko Brown is good, but just not blown away like I have with their IPA, Big Wave, Pipeline, and the Longboard.

Wonder if there is a clone recipe for this IPA?

I love the Castaway, it's one of my new favorite beers. I'm looking for a recipe as well and so far I've only found this:

http://www.novahomebrew.com/index.php/topic,3654.0.html
and this (referenced in the first post)
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/133607/jb-castaway

Comments from the recipe are: Came out a fairly mild IPA. When I rebrew this recipe I will use fewer hops at the beginning of the boil and a lot more towards the end. Also more dry hops.

I enjoyed it when I bought a 6-pack about a month ago.

Also, love their bottles...always on the look out for interesting/unique glass!

I tried it twice, and I didn't like it. I tried though. I really tried!

*Disclaimer: I don't like IPA's.*

All of their other beers are pretty good though. Big Wave is my favorite, and probably about as close as my taste buds will let me get to an IPA. Their Fire(something) beer isn't all that great either. It's just ok.

You're starting to see their beer everywhere now too. They're paired with Red Hook or their distributors or something like that now.

The best damn bottles in the business too! (Why do you think I tried to like their IPA?)

Yeah, I too love the bottles. I have a couple of the older style before they went to the Liquid Aloha bottles.

I had a friend of mine from work ride with me to pick up some brew from the nearby packaging store. I thought he had been there before, but he hadn't and seems he's a bit limited on knowing what's out there. He does like other brews besides the "Light 3" from BMC. Anyways, he picked up a sixer of the Longboard Lager. I hope he likes it as I was afraid to push him toward something darker like an amber or stout.

I have only had it on draft, so i am curious to see these bottles. Overall though i was pretty pleased with the IPA. Not my favorite IPA out there, but it definetly satisfys my thirst for hops.

Bump..

I know I started this about their IPA, but I recently found a sixer of Fire Rock at a store in Chattanooga (World Market for those in Chattown).

So now I have had six of Kona's beers and can say this company is probably my current favorite brewery. The Koko Brown is growing on me a lot more too.

I still haven't had the wheat beer yet, but a packaging store that opened up down the road seems to think they can get whatever I'm looking for.

And as mentioned before........

I had a friend of mine from work ride with me to pick up some brew from the nearby packaging store. I thought he had been there before, but he hadn't and seems he's a bit limited on knowing what's out there. He does like other brews besides the "Light 3" from BMC. Anyways, he picked up a sixer of the Longboard Lager. I hope he likes it as I was afraid to push him toward something darker like an amber or stout.

I asked him the following Monday if he liked the Longboard......Loved it. Might have a craft beer convert on my hands LOL!

Kona is kind enough to give a couple hints on their website.

50 IBU
6% ABV
OG of 14.3 plato
Pale Malt, Caramel Malt
Hops Galaxy, Citra, Simcoe, Millenium.

Based on color probably caramel 10 or 20
at 75% efficiency maybe

9.5lbs pale
1 lb caramel 10

Also, I guess I got my question answered on whether I can score some of the Wailua Falls Wheat.....:(

Kona's Website said:
....Wailua Wheat won’t be hitting the mainland this year but it will be available year round in package and on draft in Hawaii. We aren’t legally set up to ship Wailua outside Hawaii this year so the only place to get it is on the islands. Sounds like the perfect excuse for a trip, right?

http://konabrewingco.com/blog/beers/wailua-wheat-ale/

:(

Latest posts

Back